Is there a model of this locomotive?

12 Replies, 7014 Views

[Image: 03-homebush-coming-from-gairloch.jpg]
Just a curious question.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dillon_Trinh's post:
  • Super
It's a picture of the 610 mm gauge Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 steam locomotive 'Homebush' used by the Colonial Sugar Refining Company at their sugar mills in Queensland, Australia. There are a number of these locos in preservation, here's another:
[Image: hc1838.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Love the looks of that Bally Hooley and its a wood burner. Must be a really small set of wheels as you can't even see them.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(01-07-2021, 08:23 PM)Super Wrote: Love the looks of that Bally Hooley and its a wood burner. Must be a really small set of wheels as you can't even see them.

It's a coal burner....
  • Super
I was going by what I saw in the Tender...isn't that wood planks?

[Image: hc1838.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Tharazero1
Most of these locos are coal or oil firing, but I think the wood is used for starting the fire.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2021, 08:40 PM by Super.)
  • Super
One source I've found, admittedly not referring to these specific individual locos, says that:

"Originally the locomotives did not have tenders but after a period in use they were provided to carry bagasse (crushed residues of the cane) as fuel for the boiler."

I haven't found any models of Sugar Cane Railway steamers yet, but while searching I did stumble across these, which might be of passing interest to Muddy.

[Image: image.png] [Image: image.png] [Image: image.png]

UPDATE: check out this modelling link!
(01-08-2021, 07:38 PM)chrisjo Wrote: "crushed residues of the cane) as fuel for the boiler."

Well thats a very efficient and cost saving way to get rid of waste and power the engine.

WooHoo!!!! A Tully Railroad Smile
We're getting a little bit off topic in my opinion.
But most of Australian sugar cane steam locomotives used mostly coal or oil, never crushed sugar cane.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2021, 10:06 PM by Super.)
  • Super
Its your topic Dillon, work it the way you want.