FfarquharDeveloper's TrackMaster Customs

249 Replies, 90951 Views

10/18/21 Update

Not making it a purchase post and the purchase thread may become slightly irrelevant 

Bulgy:
Bulgy the Double Decker Bus (Green) arrived today.

(Before)
[Image: Bulgy-Before1.jpg][Image: Bulgy-Before2.jpg][Image: Bulgy-Before3.jpg]

(After)
- Rear Lights Painted
- Face Painted
- Railing Painted
- Bumper Restored
- Headlight Restored
- Centers of front wheels painted
[Image: Bulgy-After1.jpg][Image: Bulgy-After2.jpg][Image: Bulgy-After3.jpg]

I love this guy. This week has gone off to a great start.
- roxaclock

"see ya around!"
[-] The following 2 users Like FfarquharDeveloper's post:
  • Mister No, Super
Nice work Ffar. Where is the 'railing'?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
10/29/21 Update

O.J.:

Started work on O.J.'s Hull, also some of Edward's tender printing scraped off so I'll have to repaint that whenever I find my red paint.

O.J. is too tall right now and I need to cut him down.
[Image: IMG-20211029-001937.jpg]
- roxaclock

"see ya around!"
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Love the glasses Ffar. How is he "too tall"?
A TUGS custom from FfarDev? I'm not entirely surprised given the apparent resurge of interest in the show lately (among a few Thomas Twitter users I've seen).

Either way, this should be an exciting interpretation of him. Will the hull be coated in something like Milliput, and will he have a Lakesider 3 variant as well? I would've suggested making the paddle wheels before adding the supports for the arches (?) so they could actually go through the top. Also, the stern seems a little too short from the current angle and should be slightly longer than the bow (if it isn't).

@Super: she most likely means too tall compared to the height above water.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Super
11/1/21 Update

Donald & Douglas:
Their faces got repainted again.
[Image: dndsnowplough-0.jpg]

Now onto the interesting bit.

Donald & Douglas (continued):
I scratch-built Snowploughs for Donald & Douglas.

A base to slide onto the buffer beam being held in by the buffers was built first by cutting out a thin strip of polystyrene and then cutting holes for the buffers and moulded on coupler.
[Image: dndsnowplough-01.jpg]
Then the ploughs were built, they were made using the card from a Tacky Box and curving them. The tops of the card were curved and cut in a slant.
[Image: dndsnowplough-02.jpg]

Then it was time to build the supports to connect the ploughs, this was done by placing the ploughs on their ends and then tracing them on polystyrene, from there it was just cutting it out with a hobby knife and supergluing all of the bits together.
[Image: dndsnowplough-03.jpg]

After that, it was off to adding the visual supports on the outside. To do this, additional polystyrene had to be added as inside supports before adding the visual outer supports. They don't really do much but they do make the ploughs look better and more accurate.
[Image: dndsnowplough-04.jpg][Image: dndsnowplough-05.jpg][Image: dndsnowplough-06.jpg]

Then it was off to painting the ploughs, they were primed using Tamiya Light Grey Primer and then painted in 3 coats of Tamiya Acrylic X-18 Semi-Gloss Black.
[Image: dndsnowplough-07.jpg]

Once they were dried they were fitted onto the twins. 
[Image: dndcompletesnowplough-1.jpg][Image: dndcompletesnowplough-2.jpg][Image: dndcompletesnowplough-3.jpg][Image: dndcompletesnowplough-4.jpg]
- roxaclock

"see ya around!"
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Nice work. I initially thought they were too far from the bufferbeams, only to find it's the exact same distance they were in Season 2. I do feel they might be a bit oversized and get stuck on track, but they still look better than TOMY's.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Super
Excellent, imaginative, engineering Ffar. I like how you made sure the plows for the twins are facing opposite directions like the Plarails. Not always knowing what the Thomas show gave us, is that the way they were in the show?
apologies for the lack of posts and responses lately. been busy with school and i'm needing to start taking photos on the camera instead of on my phone

@Super to answer your question, yes the ploughs were liked that on the show.

@laG to answer your comment, yeah i think they might be a tad bit oversized, problems with clearing doors and whatnot + they do tend to hit on the double-crossover rail

minor updates, loco drive emily stopped working and the cheap soldering iron gave way so come black friday gonna have to order a stronger motor for her along with all the other stuff from japan for customs, scotsman's wiring also gave way. gonna have to figure out how to keep him wired up and operational Sad

will be back again soon with photos of the updates to Oliver, Spencer, Diesel, Edward, and many others.
- roxaclock

"see ya around!"
  • DalaGStanator, Super
12/4/2021 Update

Sorry about the absolute radio silence recently, been very caught up and tangled in life.

No Daisy or D261 still as I haven't gotten the resources to make them yet, but I do have photos of literally everything that's happened throughout November to now.
No updates on O.J. (shelved project for now)

Duck:
- Repainted face
[Image: P1010721.jpg]

Oliver:
- Repainted Face
- Repainted Wheels
- Tidied up in general
[Image: P1010722.jpg]

Hurricane:
- Bufferbeam Extended and Repainted
- No. 20 added.
- New Cab Windows.
[Image: P1010725.jpg][Image: P1010726.jpg]

Stepney:
- Repainted Face
[Image: P1010727.jpg]

Fergus:
- Bufferbeam has unfortunately been damaged.
- Might be a good time to refurbish him.
[Image: P1010728.jpg]

Diesel:
- Repainted face.
[Image: P1010729.jpg]

Derek:
- Received a new face. I intend to completely refurbish him over my Winter Break starting with removing the current buffers and replacing them with those of a TM2 Gordon.
[Image: P1010730.jpg]

Rebecca:
- I believe I have forgotten to show off Rebecca.
- This is a TM2 Rebecca with the front Bufferbeam sunken down and given full paint.
- Cab has the dip down at the back and the front tender buffers were cut off and glued onto the front.
- All bodywork done was just cutting and gluing back together or milliput.
- Pipes were added on by cutting wire and shaping it to be the pipes.
- White footplate because I hate unpainted footplates.
[Image: P1010731.jpg]

Spencer:
- Full repaint
- Face was repainted
- Not pleased with the Tender Lining, I'll fix that during the next refurbishment
[Image: P1010732.jpg]

Paxton:
- Completed a while back
- Stripes are a bit funky because it's very challenging to paint his stripes and the tape wasn't working for masking.
[Image: P1010733.jpg][Image: P1010734.jpg]

James:
I hated stock James face, originally I'd planned to replace it with a 3d print but just opted for modifying the face
- This included widening the mouth and eye sockets in addition to repainting the eyebrows.
- With that marks the fact that nothing on the first row of my engine section of the shelf is stock standard anymore.
(Thomas, Edward, Henry, James, Percy, Toby, Duck, Donald, Douglas, Oliver, Bill, Ben, and Stepney all have had face repaints.)
(The City of Truro is a Custom, Gordon has a more faithful design accurate No.4 on his tender.)
[Image: P1010735.jpg]

Winston:
Motorized 2021 Wave hit my Walmart and I grabbed a Winston beginning of November.
[Image: P1010736.jpg]

Edward:
Here's my Childhood Edward.
[Image: P1010737.jpg]
And here's the damages from his exploit.
[Image: P1010738.jpg]
Unfortunately, my Regular Plarail Edward has sustained a bit of paint loss which has been fixed but he does need new No. 2 tender stickers.
Also shown are his glasses I mentioned a while back.
[Image: P1010744.jpg]

Percy and the Tanker packs:
So I picked up an additional 3 Percy and the Tanker Pack on Black Friday.
[Image: P1010739.jpg]
Trucks:
Two of them have standard wheels and I am slightly upset.
[Image: P1010740.jpg]

Jack:
My Bandai TECS Jack the Front Loader arrived on Thursday, he's in stellar condition minus the missing stack.
Easily the BEST form of Jack merch.
- Face was painted up.
[Image: P1010742.jpg][Image: P1010743.jpg]
- roxaclock

"see ya around!"
[-] The following 3 users Like FfarquharDeveloper's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Donald9Douglas10Oliver11mp, Super