Rusty's Face

12 Replies, 6045 Views

Does anybody know how to remove Rusty's face while doing minimum damage to it? I'm trying to downsize his face via a shrunk mould and I need help removing his face first.
[Image: IMG-20210114-231800.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20210114-231732.jpg]
- roxaclock

"see ya around!"
[-] The following 2 users Like FfarquharDeveloper's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
That would be interesting to see...Rusty with a smaller face.

I have never removed Rusty's face but have removed several others. I would first use a Rotary Tool (Dremel like) to remove those pegs on the inside.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator, FfarquharDeveloper
you may have to literally saw off Rusty face off its body.  in the process, you will destroy the entire body.
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
Yikes, I'm trying to leave Rusty's body intact, I'll have to figure out other methods then.
- roxaclock

"see ya around!"
[-] The following 1 user Likes FfarquharDeveloper's post:
  • DalaGStanator
It shouldn't take that drastic of measures. I can't tell exactly from the close up but is there a black lip around his face?
You've been on a TrackMaster Season 4 spree, haven't you? Nothing wrong with it by any means. I love that season and the Skarloey Railway in general. The engines, coaches/trucks and locations from it are always fun and refreshing to model compared to the standard gauge ones.

On topic: I have a feeling his face is built (not moulded) into the radiator, meaning the piece could be made of two layers. Maybe you could find some way to push the pins out, unscrewing the black drive unit supports to leave more space beforehand. You may need to apply some force to get the pins out easily. Seeing as you're not going to retain the original cast of the face, you could try cutting or breaking the pins and see what would happen. If the radiator is a separate layer, there should be some indication (on the back) of how the face is mounted (screw/s, post/s or glue).
[-] The following 2 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • FfarquharDeveloper, Super
There has to be some nondestructive way of doing it, or we wouldn't have this classic video 
https://youtu.be/OiPvkN2RdUY
I have a website where I have been writing about and photographing many of the sets and pieces that I find interesting.
[-] The following 2 users Like DuckGWR's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Thanks Duck, I agree that this shouldn't be to hard. Before I suggest anything more...my question would be: Is the face recessed on your Rusty Ffar? In your picture it seems like the face is lower than the black around it but in Ducks video the black area looks to be flat and the face proud of that. Maybe there were two versions of Rusty???

[Image: Untopitled.jpg]

[Image: Unthyitled.jpg]
(01-16-2021, 05:05 PM)Super Wrote: Maybe there were two versions of Rusty???
The Tomy 2006 version has his face fixed on with screws. I guess the one that FfarquharDeveloper's working on is the 2010 Mattel one?

[Image: DSC05487.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • DalaGStanator
Nope! Mine's the Hit Toy Company version, should I try getting a TOMY Rusty instead for this modification?

Nevermind I got it off with help.
[Image: IMG-20210116-153134.jpg]
- roxaclock

"see ya around!"
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2021, 12:14 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes FfarquharDeveloper's post:
  • DalaGStanator