Palitoy Log Delivery Train Set

24 Replies, 9733 Views

[Image: Palitoy-Log-Delivery-box-lid.jpg]     [Image: Palitoy-Log-Delivery-open-box.jpg]
It appears that at some stage it was intended that a Country Station with token hoop hook would be included in the set, as per the Plarail version shown below. The signboard on the station platform says 'Discovery Time Station', and the text below the picture is printed onto a sticker that has been added to the box prior to distribution. I'd love to know what happened there.

That's the Ever Ready battery that was in the specially provided battery compartment in the box when I got it, it may be a collector's item in itself! I've put a new Duracell in its place in the box contents picture at the top. Note that the Plarail box below also has a place where the battery can be stowed.

The C12 on/off switch is a slider on the front buffer-bar, it's in the 'on' position here. It has metal-coloured plastic connecting rods, and a British Rail double-arrow sticker on the front and on each side.
The power from the motor is transmitted to the drive wheels via a friction wheel. Everything in the box says that it's made in Hong Kong. Even the logs have 'HK' moulded onto them. The Tomy two kids logo was in use from about 1972 to 1982, I believe.

Below are the Plarail C12 and Geyper D51 versions of the same set, images from the new Plarail Museum. The Plarail one was released in 1974, but there is no clue to the release date of the Palitoy set on its box.
[-] The following 6 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • DalaGStanator, DuckGWR, Mister No, PerkyHydrAan, Super, violater
Very interesting Dr Chris, is this something you just picked up or have you had if for a while? I don't think I have seen a C-12 like that before. Besides just the word Tomy Is there anywhere on the box that has the Tomy Logo?  Do all the tracks have the boy&girl Tomy logo on them or just the stop&go rail?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I've got two of these in the last year, which combined together gives me one VGC complete set that I've photographed above and one with a couple of missing logs and station pillars, some broken track connectors, and one sticker missing off the front of the C12. Remarkably there is no corrosion in either loco, nor are there any split gears. One of them is the actual set shown in Vio's post from about six months ago. There's some information about Palitoy in that thread.

The two kids logo is only on the C12, the stop-rail, and the sawmill and timber yard base/track pieces. There is no Tomy logo on the box, just the text shown.

Edit: I've just noticed that the picture on the box lid has the box lid on it, and it's different!

[Image: Palitoy-Log-Delivery-box-lid-markup.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
It is very cool. Are there a lot of the Palitoy brand items listed in the UK?
Mostly Action Man, but also proper OO gauge trains - 'Mainline' brand. Plus the Merry-go sets and so on.

Edit: But by far the biggest among collectors are their Star Wars and Star Trek figures and merchandise.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2021, 10:59 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
That is why you contacted Mr. Nayuho yesterday. I definitely welcome this set into our museum.

Notice that the motor is different than the original Plarail versions. Good find.
[-] The following 2 users Like violater's post:
  • chrisjo, Super
A further thought on the Country Station shown on the Log Delivery box but not included in the set. It appears that they used the same stop-rail picture that was on the box of the Junior Train Set, which does have the station in it, then added the disclaimer sticker after the Log Delivery box was printed.

[Image: 1491.jpg]

I believe there was also a Super Train Set in the same series, but I know nothing more about it
  • Super, violater
Dr Chris...I am amazed at your researching skills...  [Image: nodding-yes-by-a-very-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
here is a challenge for you, dr chris... a tomy item, using the discovery time hot air balloon, branded as meccano. i have just found another, identical except the red sticker has tomy "two kids" logo on it.

[Image: meccano-3.jpg]

[Image: tomybear.jpg]
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes sunhuntin's post:
  • Super
(02-01-2021, 07:10 AM)sunhuntin Wrote: here is a challenge for you, dr chris... a tomy item, using the discovery time hot air balloon, branded as meccano. i have just found another, identical except the red sticker has tomy "two kids" logo on it.
See the answer that I've just posted here.
  • sunhuntin, Super