Bluebell Railway

10 Replies, 8567 Views

Some pictures I took while on a visit to the Bluebell Railway, maybe around 1966/67 - I'm not exactly sure. The camera was probably a Kodak Instamatic and these photos were about as good as it got with me operating it.

London Brighton & South Coast Railway Class A1 Stroudley 'Terrier' 0-6-0T, No.55 "Stepney".
[Image: LBSC-Terrier-0-6-0-T-55-Stepney.jpg] [Image: LBSC-Terrier-0-6-0-T-55-Stepney-2.jpg]

London Brighton & South Coast Railway Class A1 Stroudley 'Terrier' 0-6-0T, No.672 "Fenchurch".
[Image: LBSC-Terrier-0-6-0-T-672-Fenchurch.jpg]

Great Western Railway 'Dukedog or 'Earl' class 4-4-0, No.9017 "Earl of Berkeley"
[Image: GWR-Earl-Of-Berkeley-3217.jpg]

London & South Western Railway Adams 'Radial Tank' 4-4-2T No.488
[Image: LSW-Adams-4-4-2-T-488.jpg]
[-] The following 6 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • DalaGStanator, generic_truck_69420, Mister No, Off The Rails, PerkyHydrAan, Super
I think they are great pictures for the time Dr Chris. Are they scanned actual photos? Sign of the times for sure...were those short shorts and over the calf socks part of the uniform of the UK Boy Scouts?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 3 users Like Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator, generic_truck_69420, PerkyHydrAan
That 4-4-2T is an especially interesting locomotive. I’m not familiar with a radial tank engine. The side tanks seem a bit small relative to the overall size of the engine.

Now I’ve gotta do some research.... Darn it!

EDIT: Yep, I already had to avoid the stuff about radial aircraft engines used in tanks! Big Grin LOL
[-] The following 3 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • DalaGStanator, generic_truck_69420, Super
[Image: waving-hi-text-smiley-emoticon.gif]

OTR!!!
[-] The following 3 users Like Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator, generic_truck_69420, Off The Rails
(03-07-2021, 07:48 PM)Super Wrote: I think they are great pictures for the time Dr Chris. Are they scanned actual photos? Sign of the times for sure...were those short shorts and over the calf socks part of the uniform of the UK Boy Scouts?
Yes they are scanned actual photos. Yes, they were part of our uniforms, though we seem to have been taking a fairly relaxed attitude towards our appearance.
[-] The following 3 users Like chrisjo's post:
I had no idea you were in the Scouts, though I do know you've been on several well known UK heritage railways. These photos were indeed very well taken for a 14/15 year old in the mid-late '60s. The scanning quality is so good it makes them look like they're much more recent. Are there any particular experiences you or the others recall from your time there? Please tell us about your memories from it.
[-] The following 3 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • chrisjo, generic_truck_69420, Super
(03-08-2021, 11:22 AM)DalaGStanator Wrote: I had no idea you were in the Scouts, though I do know you've been on several well known UK heritage railways. These photos were indeed very well taken for a 14/15 year old in the mid-late '60s. The scanning quality is so good it makes them look like they're much more recent. Are there any particular experiences you or the others recall from your time there? Please tell us about your memories from it.
I did do a fair bit of post-scan processing.

If it wasn't for the fact that I have the photos, I wouldn't remember anything about it at all, as with much of my adolescence. My mother however, who is 95, would probably be able to tell me where and at what time the bus came to pick us up, who was driving it, and the names of all their great grand-children.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • generic_truck_69420
(04-10-2022, 09:37 AM)chrisjo Wrote: My mother however, who is 95, would probably be able to tell me where and at what time the bus came to pick us up, who was driving it, and the names of all their great grand-children.

[Image: giggling.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator
I need to visit the Bluebell again, not been there for some years now despite it being just up the road from me.  It's not so much I don't like going as I love it, just that it used to be a place I went to quite a few times with my sadly departed father so it makes it a bit difficult even now after many years.

But as they are planning to have the Flying Scotsman as a guest engine in September I think I'll have to make the effort for that and hopefully build some new happy memories to draw me back more often.  Not that I've never seen the Scotsman as have on several occasions at various locations, but it will be somewhat more personal at the Bluebell Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Nigels's post:
Look forward to see photos of your visit in September to see the Flying Scotsman Nigel. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator, generic_truck_69420