What is the rarest Tomy/Plarail/TrackMaster item you own?

67 Replies, 21440 Views

I was hoping you and the 'Team' would give us your choice of what is the rarest as I think you all have the worlds greatest knowledge on this subject. Thanks Vio. Smile
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Rarest in what range? That is the question.

For us, we know that:

1959-1964: パノラマトンネル. There are 2 types. Both are the very first Plarail scene parts where only 2 original packaging remains in this world. Clear images of packaging do not exist. Also Point Rail (Tentative name), it looks like a Y shaped rail but it is not and it existed in 1950.
1965-1969: 電動プラレール電車セットNO.1 & NO.2. NO.1 was just unexcavated last year and NO.2 set's existence is unconfirmed at the moment.
1970-1974: D-51きしゃセット and ちょうとっきゅうひかりごうニューセット. The same one listed above. First set was unexcavated in 2018, second set unexcavated just last year and only 1 catalogue lists these 2 sets together. That catalogue was excavated 4 months after the second set's discovery. Tough debate to include white home version of ふくせんプラレールステーションセット and 全自動ふみきりセット.
1973-1974: Single item C12ロータリーじょせつしゃ. Listed in the 1974 catalogue but the existence of single items are unconfirmed till today. Also single item slippery turnout rail, out of print 5 months after initial manufacture. Tough debate to include ハイウエィふみきりステーションセット.
1975-1979: Single item ぼくじょうふみきり. Listed in 1975 catalogue but packaging/box is unconfirmed till today. Also single item C-62汽笛入り, the amount of surviving boxes are estimated less than 4 in the world. Also the 2 types of 近郊型でんしゃふみきりえきセット, amount of survivors are less than 6 today. Tough debate to include ふえふきはっしゃセット and ニチイチェーンよいこシリーズ specification of the D-51きゅうこうれっしゃセット.
1980-1984: 福岡市交通局の地下鉄, blue box version is unnumbered EC box type and 1 survivor remains today. 京阪神通勤特急 基本No.3セット, 1 of the Plarail spoken about in biggest rumors and only 3 confirmed survivors remain today. Chitose Airport Set, the same rumour as above but existence unconfirmed.

Generally speaking it is extremely difficult to directly judge which one is rarer than the other provided you specify a range.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2021, 06:25 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like violater's post:
  • Tons of Trackmasters, Zwilling
(05-16-2021, 11:35 AM)TrainsRawesome Wrote: Woah ... that MIB American TNA Percy sure is rare. That’s the first one I’ve seen besides the one on the wiki.

Wait...how rare is the Percy? I am going for a James too, I got the Percy for $50
Good luck  Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2021, 09:43 AM by Super.)
Well, the James got well over 1000$

(05-16-2021, 11:35 AM)TrainsRawesome Wrote: Woah ... that MIB American TNA Percy sure is rare. That’s the first one I’ve seen besides the one on the wiki.

[Image: 7-FA7744-F-68-C8-440-B-A3-CE-5-FD5-EED236-BE.jpg]

[Image: BF8-EF5-C3-6099-4-D19-8-D6-F-0-CC8-FD4079-DA.jpg]

[Image: CEA04-CAB-F07-F-4-B20-9-FCF-E60-FD0-C131-A9.jpg]

[Image: F51-B8983-FC37-4087-A9-E7-D475-BEC0-CDFB.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2021, 11:57 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes OwenDino Studios's post:
  • TrainsRawesome
(05-18-2021, 05:25 PM)Vio Wrote: Rarest in what range? That is the question.

For us, we know that:

1959-1964: パノラマトンネル. There are 2 types. Both are the very first Plarail scene parts where only 2 original packaging remains in this world. Clear images of packaging do not exist. Also Point Rail (Tentative name), it looks like a Y shaped rail but it is not and it existed in 1950.
1965-1969: 電動プラレール電車セットNO.1 & NO.2. NO.1 was just unexcavated last year and NO.2 set's existence is unconfirmed at the moment.
1970-1974: D-51きしゃセット and ちょうとっきゅうひかりごうニューセット. The same one listed above. First set was unexcavated in 2018, second set unexcavated just last year and only 1 catalogue lists these 2 sets together. That catalogue was excavated 4 months after the second set's discovery. Tough debate to include white home version of ふくせんプラレールステーションセット and 全自動ふみきりセット.
1973-1974: Single item C12ロータリーじょせつしゃ. Listed in the 1974 catalogue but the existence of single items are unconfirmed till today. Also single item slippery turnout rail, out of print 5 months after initial manufacture. Tough debate to include ハイウエィふみきりステーションセット.
1975-1979: Single item ぼくじょうふみきり. Listed in 1975 catalogue but packaging/box is unconfirmed till today. Also single item C-62汽笛入り, the amount of surviving boxes are estimated less than 4 in the world. Also the 2 types of 近郊型でんしゃふみきりえきセット, amount of survivors are less than 6 today. Tough debate to include ふえふきはっしゃセット and ニチイチェーンよいこシリーズ specification of the D-51きゅうこうれっしゃセット.
1980-1984: 福岡市交通局の地下鉄, blue box version is unnumbered EC box type and 1 survivor remains today. 京阪神通勤特急 基本No.3セット, 1 of the Plarail spoken about in biggest rumors and only 3 confirmed survivors remain today. Chitose Airport Set, the same rumour as above but existence unconfirmed.

Generally speaking it is extremely difficult to directly judge which one is rarer than the other provided you specify a range.

This ^
I totally agree but you might consider these.
1959-1964: ハイウェイバスセット, there are no surviving boxes found to this day but the catalogue images are confirmed.
1965-1970: 電車(青), sakura trees and transparent blue trees, its existence is said to be a miracle as there are no images of them except the sakura trees in the catalogue and the surviving amount of trees are less than 20 in the world. The only confirmed owner of the transparent blue trees today is Mie Battery Railway.
1965-1970: プラレール部品ハウスブロック, the entire set was part of Project X Story and no one knows the DVD version contents of Project X Story till today. There are only 2 surviving sets today.
1971-1975: Single item ハウスブロック, released after Project X Story but the amount of survivors in brand new are unconfirmed today (probably none left?). D51きしゃ(青)could be considered too, I heard there is less than 50 survivors in the world.
1984: メロディーD51セット, it is a miracle that the amount of brand new survivors are less than 3 today. There are 3 types of melodies, and I don't even know if the 2 confirmed survivors have the same melody or not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zwilling's post:
  • violater
Yes Zwilling, how I could I miss out some of your recommendations!
I agree with all except 電車(青), sakura trees and D51きしゃ(青).
電車(青)is only a consideration, but not the rarest in the range. There are a few survivors today, look it up and you will see that some of them still have their boxes... with that colour code sticker intact heheh...
Sakura trees again is another consideration. They were never sold on their own, but they were included in the 牧場セット (I don't know if other sets that have the trees or whether a single item actually exists). Actually I have no idea how many survives today but I have a few contacts that own them. I agree that there are few in existence.
D51きしゃ(青), turns out to be less than 70 units the last time I checked every auction and social media. I went to the deep web to search, and I found 6 more from the dead blogs. It is an exceptional rare thing, but not even a consideration of the rarest.
By the way, regarding the メロディーD51セット, I went to Fuji-san's house that day and he has that set. The melody is unknown as the electronics are dysfunctional.

Also I wish to add the 1979 自動ポイントセット as one of the rarest. Plain modified basic set layout but there are only 2 surviving boxes in the world as of today. I'm actually surprised that it is rarer than some of the 60s Plarail.
[-] The following 1 user Likes violater's post:
  • Zwilling
Glad I was able to help.
Ooh, the 自動ポイントセット is legendary, the popularity increased just because of the vehicle choice. I don't really see that set often. I bet if it weren't for the vehicle choice, it would have been much cheaper today. Talking about urban legends, haha.
  • violater
That urban legend was made thanks to a bidder who bid 200,000 or more yen back in the day for a single item 寝台特急 and revived thanks to Gunma Battery Railway...
Why would anyone bid for such a middle class rarity for that amount...
[-] The following 1 user Likes violater's post:
  • Zwilling
Back in the day, I guess no one had done their research or methods/access of research were not available, so they will bid either because it represents a certain piece of history from their childhood or it signifies a historical portion of the JNR? Or it is just because of rarity which I assume that no one knows the true value at that time.
  • violater