2012 AA powered toby

11 Replies, 7167 Views

In my opinion, the AA powered toby is a strange product. Nobody ever talks about it, and I don't think many people even know of it's existence.

Backstory: Toby had many releases in tomy and trackmaster. They were all powered by a C sized battery until the trackmaster revolutions came around. However there is a little known AA varient released in 2012. I almost never see it on ebay. Out of curiosity, does anyone own this toby or have any more information about it?
[Image: Track-Master-Fisher-Price-2013-Little-Fr...bybox.webp]
Train it, plane it, you name it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes GreatGordonFan's post:
  • Super
Interesting.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Fisher Price converted most of the (major) engines that had a "Thomas" or "Clam Shell" DU to use the Flat type that year. They did the same thing with Diesel and were going to update 'Arry and Bert, which ended up being released unofficially after 2013. Technically, the C battery engines can also use AA or even AAA (which are also 1.5V), but the battery has to be raised up somehow and AAAs are too short.

BTW: when this version came out, Ucwepn used it for his headlamp mod tutorial.
[-] The following 2 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • GreatGordonFan, Super
Thanks LaG....love going back to see Ucwepn's video's, brings back so many good memories of when we started on this journey, Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator
Speaking of Ucwepn, I never knew what happened to him, I presume you guys know?

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3cddLo...G2N8VDiTvA 
[Image: 795436713421701122.png?v=1]
[-] The following 3 users Like TheDiamondDalek's post:
  • DalaGStanator, GreatGordonFan, Tons of Trackmasters
(05-17-2021, 02:12 PM)DalaGStanator Wrote: Fisher Price converted most of the (major) engines that had a "Thomas" or "Clam Shell" DU to use the Flat type in 2012. They did the same thing with Diesel and were going to update 'Arry and Bert, which ended up being released unofficially after 2013. Technically, the C battery engines can also use AA or even AAA (which are also 1.5V), but the battery has to be raised up somehow and AAAs are too short.

BTW: when this version came out, Ucwepn used it for his headlamp mod tutorial.

you can use the battery the other way around.  I used a C battery when it is designed to take AA batteries
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • Super
How do you do that Leyland?
...and why would you do that?
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 2 users Like Mister No's post:
  • chrisjo, Super
(05-19-2021, 07:26 PM)Super Wrote: How do you do that Leyland?

well I have a toby with a dead motor.  Since i had a lot of extra thomas sitting around, I harvested a Thomas motor and installed on Toby. it works great much to my surprise.
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • Super
(05-19-2021, 03:45 PM)leylandvictory2 Wrote: you can use the battery the other way around.  I used a C battery when it is designed to take AA batteries

How did you use a C battery in a AA engine, thats what I don't see???