Messed up Terence

9 Replies, 4741 Views

Hey there! I need some help with a TOMY Terence I just bought. Its one from a Japanese Timber Yard set, and something is up with the gears and driving wheels. Every time i put him on the road, he sits with the motor running. But if i hold him in the air, his wheels spin. He's not missing any gears, they're all in the right place. I did have to go and open him up to wake up the motor, but he didn't even work from the get go. What could be the problem then? Undecided
[-] The following 2 users Like Revden's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Welcome, Revden.

Sure, you said all the gears are still there and in the right positions, but are you sure the one on his driven axle is not split? You might need a magnifying glass and torch (flashlight) or something to check for cracks. I'd assume it works the exact same way as the engines. Sun has a repair guide for this version of Terence that should be of help to you. If not, please provide your own photos and/or a video if possible.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Super
The issue isnt him turning on, he turns on. The issue is his wheels dont move while on the road, and is very weak rolling about, if he ever does any. He cant spin his turntables, or even go up the half slopes of the set.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2021, 11:13 AM by Super.)
  • DalaGStanator, Super
The gear on Terence's wheels (the one connecting to the axle to the driver wheels) is most likely broken and needs to be glued or replaced. That's why your Terence does not work.
- roxaclock

"see ya around!"
[-] The following 2 users Like FfarquharDeveloper's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Like the others have said, it seems like there is a gear or gears that are slipping on their shaft and I agree with the above suggestion for pictures and/or video for us to see exactly whats going on.

Try this: Turn Terrence on
Turn him over and lightly touch the drive wheels
If the wheels easily stop but the motor is still running its a slipping gear and this Terrence, because he has to drive those turn arounds, has to have strong wheel to rail traction with no slipping for it to work.

BTW: Welcome to BPT's Revden
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Tharazero1
Thank you all for the help! I found that with what super said, the wheel does stop easy while the motor doesnt struggle. I did not see any cracks on the gears, other than maybe the one with the metal exposed between the drive gear and...whatever that lil white thing is. If i need to repair these, how do i get the parts to repair him?
[Image: 20210619-200741.jpg]

[Image: 20210619-200751.jpg]
  • DalaGStanator, Super
A lot of the time with these gears you won't even see the crack as they are sometimes so slight but they will slip. Make sure the Gear pictured does not slip on the metal shaft as this is the one that moves back and forth to engage the wheels with the on/off switch. That white, round, non-gear thing to the right of it is the method that the switch uses to move that drive gear into messing with the axle gear. Speaking of the axle gear...is it firmly on the axle and doesn't slip?

I believe there would be a gear (not pictured) on the motor shaft too...right. Make sure that on is on tight and can't be pulled off easily. Sourcing replacement gears is troublesome. Probably the only gear that can be found is the one on the motors shaft. Other gears can be sourced from not wanted or damaged other motorized vehicles that could be picked up cheaply especially include in 'Lots' for sale or found at the Thrift stores. The all pretty much use similar gears so that should help if one is needed. I wouldn't think there is any problem with that middle gear as its all one piece including the axle so that limits looking for which one or ones need help with.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator, FfarquharDeveloper
Yes, there was a gear on the drive wheels, i had just removed them for easier looking. I'll have to look through again, as the gears seemed coated in lots of gear grease. I'll make sure to report back on any findings.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2021, 01:52 AM by Super.)
  • DalaGStanator, Super
OKAY! I found the problem! It is the gear on the drive shaft is cracked! It is that as a problem. I now need to find a replacement piece, and hopefully find the gear piece i need.
[Image: 20210622-150913.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Revden's post:
  • DalaGStanator
Splendid. Turns out all three of us were correct. Glad to know you found it, and good luck with your search for the replacement.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Revden