DalaGStanator's Customs, Mods and Experiments

167 Replies, 72875 Views

[Image: 7426-A69-A-F5-D7-4431-B719-EA7295-F5-DDF1.jpg]

Since I don't have any of those pre geared motor units that I often see being used in scratchbuilding videos (commonly in a yellow casing), I looked for multiple custom gearboxes that might work as alternatives. After making and testing two different gear trains, one of the designs I found was this one by Black RoboBrain. I thought it looked similar in construction to the first chassis I built (and one of my failed handcar designs before the LEGO one), and it doesn't even need two identical +perfectly aligned side walls. I built it in much the same way complete with a crown gear next to the motor, but made it longer so the driven axle could be smaller and lower. I also didn't have many good options for bearings, so I ended up using top (paper) layers of cardboard glued over the shafts.

The three gears mesh and work how they're supposed to (for the most part; including resistance), though the last two occasionally slip away. I'll have to find out how to attach two smaller gears at the end for the chassis to move in the right direction. Nonetheless, very happy the gear train worked properly.
[-] The following 3 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Super, Therealblack64YT

Messages In This Thread
RE: DalaGStanator's Customs, Mods and Experiments - by DalaGStanator - 06-25-2022, 01:35 PM