DalaGStanator's Customs, Mods and Experiments

167 Replies, 72933 Views

[Image: 1-F369-AB0-1160-452-D-8-A61-C5-A4-AD78398-F.jpg][Image: 9-A8-FE3-A9-28-E2-41-CD-8970-E64-B19-EB1014.jpg][Image: E9-DF7-E77-261-A-49-A1-9-AF3-FC2-F90-A0-DC0-E.jpg]

Literally never thought I could do this without ordering a dedicated screwdriver in hopes it would be the right size. I even recall Chrisjo having to use a bench grinder (!) to reshape a regular one so he could deal with triangle screws. To my relief, it turned out one of the flat bits from my old 31 bit set perfectly fits and can actually move them unlike the hex (Allen) keys I tried right before it. After unscrewing, I took out the counterweight, replaced the coupling and fitted a compatible spare wheelset (currently black with non Plarail traction tyres). Now it no longer tips backwards without the 2x pack or no bottom battery. My only other grey drivers are from the Flip Face James, but they didn't fit since they have the wrong gear. Too bad I couldn't pull off one of the originals and fit both to the new axle. Might repaint these ones or put grey stickers over them. Even though it still has a (smaller) crack, the DU no longer shuts off on 1.5V. A look inside it revealed no dirt or any other cracks I know of.

Update:

[Image: EE6-E53-FB-9-E12-4-B6-E-AADE-458-A455-F30-B5.jpg][Image: 7-EB7168-E-9-D2-F-449-A-9-C34-5057-A8-E8-B423.jpg]

Until I could take off the other OG wheel and fit both to the new axle, I applied round office labels (same size as Spenry's) and painted them grey instead. I put the front wheels back in with the spoked sides facing inwards, given most of my uses for it wouldn't look right with spokes. About the darker shade: they won't be permanent anyway, so no need to actually paint them. I also noticed a recess in each side of the battery compartment, likely to make room for the tabs on the OG 2x pack. To keep the front wheels in without it, I glued matchstick pieces just over the half axles. The former steam/sound switch was left unused and eventually taken out. I briefly rewired it to power an optional light as expected, but that would be better suited for another pack or button/coin cells.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2024, 09:03 AM by DalaGStanator.)
[-] The following 2 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • Donald9Douglas10Oliver11mp, generic_truck_69420

Messages In This Thread
RE: DalaGStanator's Customs, Mods and Experiments - by DalaGStanator - 02-24-2024, 10:42 PM