Dyfi Ospreys

2 Replies, 1193 Views

Possibly my most esoteric thread on BPT so far......

Transport For Wales class 158 Express Sprinter on today's 14:56 from Machynlleth to Pwlleli passes the Dyfi Osprey Project and the two Ospreys (Telyn and Idris) who have returned to their nest site on the Dyfi Estuary from West Africa in the last few days.

[Image: image.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, GreatGordonFan, Nigels, Super
(03-31-2023, 02:39 PM)chrisjo Wrote: Possibly my most esoteric thread on BPT so far......

You are right Dr Chris...esoteric ( I had to look that up 😁) How do they know that they came from Africa to Wales, thats a long way to fly? Are Osprey's migrators?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • chrisjo
Both birds were ringed when they were babes in the nest ('banded' in the US), so we know who they are, who their parents are, etc.  Example:

[Image: image.png]

Yes, Northern European Ospreys are migratory, and we know their migration patterns because some have carried radio transmitters. The number of breeding pairs in Wales is in single figures, though very slowly increasing. Most in the UK breed in Scotland but some in England as well.

In case you were tempted to think we were getting a little too far off track, I'll close the circle with this video showing an osprey nesting on the Abukuma River bridge on the Joban Line, and the inbound Limited Express Hitachi passing under it:

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2023, 07:01 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Super