Tomy Train Gearbox parts list - request

3 Replies, 2190 Views

Hello everyone,

What a nice little community I've stumbled into, I'm hoping you'll might be able to help me.

I've got the itch to repair and refurbish my old Tomy Trains (Red No.12, Green No.78 and Blue intercity 125). 

Reading over the more common issues and fixes I've come to the realization that my gears are really beyond repair, to many cracks, the timing is off up and down the gearbox, its not really a gearbox anymore more of a click&snap box. I'm opposed to using donner units as it kills one train for another.

Does anyone have a convenience list of the full gear set in these old units?

The Pins, rods and springs are in good shape, so they can remain, its really the gearing. unless the timing issues are also releated to housing wear. The plastic on metal pin mounts grinding and wobbling, (how tight should the pins rest in their recesses?

Thanking you for any help you can provide.
[Image: Train.png]

JJ.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jayjay21's post:
  • chrisjo, sunhuntin
sorry that i cant help.

i always go for a doner, using parts from ones where the motor has given up entirely. i normally strip everything out and put the bits in assorted containers.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes sunhuntin's post:
  • Super
Nice little project.  You could start by counting the teeth on each gear, measuring the diameters to the tips of the teeth, and measuring the diameters of the axles/spindles/rods. Do you have a micrometer?  If not, I can help out by opening one up, stripping it down, and providing these measurements.

P.S. it's donor. Doner is a kebab and Donner is a reindeer. Just saying, in case anyone was confused! Rolleyes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
ugh, i wondered why my spellcheck pinged it... for some reason this computer is set up for american spellings so i figured it was that and ignored it. lol. normally my spelling is much better than that!!
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 2 users Like sunhuntin's post:
  • chrisjo, Super