Christmas Coming So...

26 Replies, 10999 Views

Christmas is nearly here and the pandemic is lifting, so it seemed rude not to visit my local train store to see what they had in that I could gift myself for Christmas (no other bugger gets me what I really want after all Smile ) and boy did I get lucky!

Firstly (You'll love this Super) I managed to find one of the Hornby 100th Year limited edition 'Peckett' locomotives.  I said Super will love this is it is a lovely little loco with an incredible level of detail for an OO scale model.  I'm hoping these pictures will illustrate the level of detail on this (check out the one of the cab interior for example) lovely little loco and bear in mind it is no more than about 3" long.  To get this level of detail into such a small model is in my view stupendous and is a model I will always cherish.  Mind you the packaging is stunning as well as befits a 100th year celebratory model, it also includes a certificate of authenticity.

The other model I also managed to get and which I could not believe they actually had as they have been sold out everywhere for ages, was a 'Merchant Navy Pacific'.  But this is no normal Merchant Navy, this is a model I love anyway as not only does it look great, but they were originally built in the yard just a few miles from me in Brighton.  I've already got a number of Merchant Navy models both in original 'streamlined' build like this one, but also some of the later BR owned 'rebuilt' versions where they stripped off the streamlining to make them easier to maintain etc... but which in some ways spoilt the distinctive look.  What makes this one so special is that for a start it features new tooling, secondly it is one of a number of special limited editions that have been made available under the old 'Hornby Dublo' brand which was shutdown many years ago.  The limited editions are very small, only 500 of each model released and this is the first one of the 4 so far released that I've ever seen so I snapped it up.  It is packaged in the original style 'Dublo' boxes and very well protected in a very sturdy box with foam lining and a plastic case.  Another nod to the older Dublo range is that the body of this loco is actually metal diecast instead of the more normal injection moulded plastic that you generally get these days.  This makes it a very heavy model which with its uprated motor makes it capable of pulling exceptionally long or heavy loads if you want it to.  Best of all though is the level of finish and detail of this model.  Like the 'Peckett' it is incredibly detailed but being a 4-6-2 pacific has a certain presence that is difficult to beat.  I'm also adding a small video showing this model in action, for the moment mine having been checked is staying in its box as it is just too precious to risk damage to, although I hope eventually to get my dream layout up and running so I can see this and my other models in action.

[Image: IMG-20211106-153724.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20211106-153750.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20211106-153818.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20211106-153901.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20211106-154140.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20211106-154150.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20211106-154213.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20211106-154226.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20211106-154316.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20211106-154326.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20211106-154644.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20211106-154710.jpg]

Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • Mister No, Super
OMG...look at the detailing inside that cab...[Image: love-daydream-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Nigels
... and there are more of us, besides Super, who like this!  Big Grin
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 2 users Like Mister No's post:
  • Nigels, Super
very nice finds, nigels!! both splendid models. thanks for sharing them
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 2 users Like sunhuntin's post:
  • Nigels, Super
(11-06-2021, 06:00 PM)Super Wrote: OMG...look at the detailing inside that cab...[Image: love-daydream-smiley-emoticon.gif]

I thought you'd like that seeing as you like the smaller engines Smile

From what I understand the cab on the Merchant Navy is even better, right down to life like looking/painted dials for the steam pressure etc...  Bearing in mind they will be only a couple of mm at best it is unbelievable they can even do that on a mass produced model!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
While this thread is up I should mention I also added this to my collection, I normally am not so into modern day engines as I prefer steam models.  But add the Beatles, especially Yellow Submarine into the mix and I was just hooked Smile

Hornby 'Yellow Submarine' Eurostar Set...
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Is this a new released train or maybe the real one was recently unveiled Nigels?
(11-09-2021, 07:44 PM)Super Wrote: Is this a new released train or maybe the real one was recently unveiled Nigels?

The model of the train was released earlier this year along with a set of Beatles themed wagons (which I've got coming <g>). 

[Image: R1253_1_Beatles-Yellow-Submarine_Hero.jpg]
[Image: r1253_yellow-submarine-eurostar_group-3.jpg]
[Image: r1253_yellow-submarine-eurostar_group-2.jpg]
[Image: r1253_yellow-submarine-eurostar_group-1.jpg]
[Image: r60010_1_the-beatles-yellow-submarine-wagon.jpg]
[Image: r60008_1_the-beatles-sgt-pepper-wagon.jpg]
[Image: r60011_1_the-beatles-magical-mystery-tour-wagon.jpg]
[Image: r60009_1_the-beatles-help-wagon.jpg]

It was available as both a Hornby 'Train Pack' (i.e. just the train) or for a little bit more as a set.  Technically the train pack is a 'limited edition', but the train in set is totally identical, having missed the train pack due to the pandemic (that visit to the store last weekend was the first since the pandemic started) I decided to get the train set instead, besides Amazon UK had a special on it so it seemed rude not to.

Details of the Hornby Beatles range can be found HERE

As for the model it is actually a representation of a true to life Eurostar train that was decorated exactly as depicted in order to celebrate some anniversary of the Beatles the other year (50th?!?).  That train ran for a period with that livery and was then converted back to the normal Eurostar colours - which incidentally have changed recently.  Now the livery is a mixture of blues and greys, it used to be grays with some yellow highights.  The actual trains themselves are very similar to the TGV's that you see on French services.  Very comfortable to ride on as well Smile
  • DalaGStanator, Super
" besides Amazon UK had a special on it so it seemed rude not to."  LOL, I almost spit out my drink reading that Nigels  [Image: laughing-dog-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator
Have you never heard that phrase before LOL!

BTW - I'll be posting some pics of some scale model buildings I just scored in an auction.  OO gauge, but probably not outrageously incorrect for the PlaRail world, I think you'll be impressed when you see them Smile
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2021, 01:12 AM by Super.)
  • Mister No, Super