Secret side project ;)

17 Replies, 7376 Views

Hi all!

Anyone who's seen my main layout thread will know I have a rather ambitious switchback loop for my Plarail/Tomica World layout planned, as one level of a multi-storey storage unit i'm planning to build. However, it's one of only 3 levels for this unit, so the question obviously is;

What about the other 2?

Well  Big Grin

Admittedly the top level is likely to be more Plarail as well, since it'll be the open-top level, so my Plarail circular storage tower is likely to migrate there from one corner of my layout, so as to free up more space for layout features, but that still leaves a middle level and several other sections to consider, right?

That's where my newest idea for a, shall we say sub-section of my modelling hobby, has come into play, and as part of a very busy day of playing video games at the arcade and hanging around London serious hobby product shopping [ Wink ] I have what, for now, is the basis for the contents of part of the middle and top levels of this new unit, with the next stage being to go to the hardware store and load up on the nessecary tools and materials.

But hey, wouldn't be fun if I just went all-in and told you straight-up exactly what I was doing, right? So, watch this space for updates as I build the unit, and see if you can guess what I might be building alongside my major Plarail expansion [details of that in the regular thread]  Big Grin

[Hint, it actually serves as the combination of several of my hobbies and interests into one neat package, and while not exactly conventional, it would be fair to say I never really went for conventional anyway  Cool ]

[Image: image.png]

Another [possible] clue; There's a lot of measuring for this one  Wink
Been building Plarail worlds since 2001; Building when I can in 2023 Cool
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2021, 05:17 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Plarail Man UK's post:
  • Super
Slot car track?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Plarail Man UK
Well, I used to own one, but no  Wink
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2021, 10:25 AM by Super.)
Lego?
Something I like a lot, but no - I already have my Lego dioramas set in a different place  Wink

In truth, I think the result will be quite the surprise for people to see, but going over my plans, i'm pretty excited to get building and see how I do with what is kind of my first large-scale DIY project  Cool  

That said, some of the parts for this project are in the same consignment from China as the Plarail 'Auto Turn Out' points, so the switchback will probably get built around the same time, hopefully Smile
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2021, 12:58 AM by Super.)
  • Super
Geo Tracks?
  • Plarail Man UK
They look interesting, although I can't say I recall them being avaliable here in the UK, so no  Cool
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2021, 12:44 PM by Super.)
  • Super
[Image: DSC-0365.jpg]

Alright chaps, a day of building later, and here's the first section (middle level) of my new unit...

Can anyone guess what this section is going to be now?

(hint, the L-shaped section in the middle is an unfinished lift/elevator, placed for measurement purposes)
This has something to do with your other hobbies?
  • Plarail Man UK
Yep, those being cosplay/fashion and action figure collecting, 2 of my many other hobbies aside from Plarail of course Wink
  • Super