Belmond British Pullman Train Pack (Hornby)

2 Replies, 1792 Views

As usual, you don't get one and then multiple of them come along at once.  In this instance it is modern image (aka diesel) locomotives.  Here I present a new Hornby train pack (well new to me anyway) which I had my eye on, but then just had to snap up when good old Amazon decided to tempt me beyond any limit by knocking over 20% off the price lol!

This one has a class 67 diesel that was specially liveried for a modern day Pullman train service in the UK, and matched with original style Pullman carriages.  The locomotive itself is stunningly gorgeous for this type of machine (I usually find them quite boring in comparison to steam) decked out in a livery that matches the yellow and brown normally associated with Pullman carriages.  The locomotive is powered on all axles and it weighs a considerable amount so should be easily capable of pulling probably a dozen carriages if I could get that many together.  But the icing on the cake is that not only is this stunning highly detailed locomotive and carriage train set beautiful, but it is also fully lit.  The Locomotive has directional lightning (i.e. white on the front, red on the rear and which switch if you run it in the opposite direction.  Similarly the carriages have working table lamps just like the real thing, not the first time these have been seen as I remember when they were initially launched <cough> a few years ago.  But they also look stunningly elegant.  Anyway I'll let the pictures do the talking as I've even included some of the loco and carriages lit Big Grin

[Image: IMG-20220121-173559.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220121-173724.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220121-173846.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220121-173855.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220121-173906.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220121-173922.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220121-173958.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220121-174307.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220121-174317.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220121-174434.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220121-174442.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220121-174646.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220121-174653.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220121-174805.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220121-174815.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220121-175103.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220121-175118.jpg]
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
OMG...those carriages are AWESOME!!! The light up Table Lamps are so cool and something that I don't think I have seen before. They are quite different from seeing the usual coaches with interior lighting throughout. I love the look of the doors with the oval glass. I do have a question about what looks like oval leaded glass windows on the sides (rest rooms???)....are they glazed and lightable from within? I do enjoy the soft light inside the Cab of the engine too. Just the right light brightness, not over powering.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Hi Super,

Those coaches are stunning, even the non-lit ones look something special, but as you say those table lamps really are something special and actually realistic as this is exactly how the real ones are lit.  You probably also noted that each coach is different as well in terms of the cabin configuration, number of windows etc... and each is also named just like locomotives are usually in this country.

To answer your question, yes they do have oval leaded windows and they are glazed, although in the current configuration they are not lit and I've never seen any that have been.  Although if you wanted to mess with them it would probably be possible to fit an LED into those parts and hook them up to the existing lighting/pickup system.  As for what is behind that window I'm not sure as I've never been inside a real one (yet), but it may be a kitchen unit as these carriages often are used as restaurant cars to serve fine dining during the journey (this was always the case).  I do have another separate one which is a dedicated 'bar' for cocktails etc... again that is lit but again a different window configuration.  I don't know if you noticed, but they also have drawn back 'curtains' on the windows.  In fact this is a way you can tell if a Hornby Pullman carriage is lit or not, if they have the curtains they are 'super detail' ones with the lit lamps, no curtains they are the standard ones (referred to as 'Railroad' these days) and are not lit.

You're right about the cabin on the loco as well, nicely lit but not overpowering, about the only trick they've missed there is not to put a little painted driver figure inside the cabs.  Typically if you get a Roco or Fleischmann model of a modern image loco they will have drivers fitted to complete things.

Regardless this I think is a lovely set and although on the surface it looks a bit expensive when you look at the current pricing for locomotives and coaches it is a stunning bargain, in fact the price of the whole set on Amazon at the moment is a little under the cost of just the locomotive on Hornby's site!
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super