Can anyone help me with this "Thomas at the Timber Yard" fault

16 Replies, 6816 Views

So I got finally got myself the "Thomas at the Timber Yard" set after years of wanting one, it's complete and besides the stickers all being in the wrong places (although in the below video I don't have the lamps and fences set up on it for better visibility), it seems to be in lovely shape. Thomas and Terrance seem to be strong runners. However, despite all of this, the one Turntable on the section with the crane won't reset after Terrance uses it unless I do it manually unlike the other side. I tried using a little WD-40 and even opening it up in order to see if all the cogs were clean and not jammed with hair or other fragments, and it's all seeming to be in correct order... Can anyone offer a solution?

[Image: Timber-Cogs.jpg]
This problem sure sounds familiar like another member had the same problem but I can't find the Thread. Undecided
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Darn that's unfortunate. I'm racking my brains trying to figure out what's wrong, all the listings online are for the whole set plus alot for shipping so I'm not looking to get another whole set...
Ussualy thoes kinda mechnisms use some like springs i THINK. MAybe try searching online or at japanese auctions for that part? in my country, there is a listing of one part, thought idk if it is not yet sold...
mostly Plarail items
Looking at your picture and trying to remember I think that the sprung half cog might be in the wrong position for the spring tension to return the turntable. I suggest, if you dare, to open the one that works and take a look at that sprung half cog to see exactly where the half teeth are supposed to be, It may have moved on the shaft if a child continuously tried to manually force it to turn .

I tried that, as reverse engineering is my go to strategy for fixing things, but the other piece on the play set has a completely different (simpler) reset mechanism.

[Image: Timber-Sprung.jpg]
MAybe some stuff is coroting?
mostly Plarail items
I would try repositioning that half gear on the spring, put it back together and see what it does....what do you have to lose in trying it?

Or, lift up this gear, (picture below) spin the turntable into the start position where Terrance would enter, replace that gear put it back together and see what happens. If noting happens or the same thing as now then repeat the same steps but rotate the table so the other side is where Terrance enters.  I say this because the position of the sprung half gear in the picture looks to be in its start place...no tension on the spring. So my theory is that when the turn table turns it will put tension on the spring which would pull the table back to its start position once Terrance vacates the turntable.

Yes Super, there is a thread somewhere on here that discusses this exact problem in detail, but I do not remember and cannot find it. :/
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
Road turntable + Terence turntable help

Name of thread above you are after, not sure how to make it a link.
Started by drew5195
[-] The following 1 user Likes AOF04's post:
  • MuddyPoppins