PlaRail DX?

12 Replies, 4899 Views

Have you guys seen the PlaRail DX models out there?  I stumbled across some on eBay when I was searching for the Kato version of the "Twilight Express" and up popped these DX versions of the PlaRail "Twilight Express".  It seems the main difference is that there are 6 cars instead of the more normal PlaRail 3 cars.  Not sure if there are any other differences, but just curious what you guys think of those releases?
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
I think those are like "premium" models, because it has been realeasd with special trains, and if it is a set, always a big set. Though i wish i got one, but in my country the prices are near around $80! do you know the original price?
mostly Plarail items
[-] The following 1 user Likes PerkyHydrAan's post:
  • Super
The Cruise Train DX series.  In Japan DX is shorthand for DeLuxe.

The Cruise Train DX Series Train Suite Shikijima was released on 01-Feb-18, list price 5500 JPY.
https://blueplastictracks.com/showthread.php?tid=3317

[Image: image.png]

It was discontinued within the year, but was re-issued on 20-Jun-20, at the same time as the new Cruise Train DX Series Twilight Express Mizukaze. Both again listed at 5500 JPY.

[Image: image.png] [Image: image.png]

There was some speculation in this forum regarding possible differences between the first and second releases of the Shikijima, but I'm not sure that we ever reached a definitive conclusion at the time. It's my current belief that there is no difference except for some minor changes to the layout of the printing on the box.

Both are still available to order from HobbySearch, but as I haven't been watching to see if they've been going out-of-stock, I can't say whether this indicates an initial over-estimate of their popularity or alternatively an on-going strong demand! You can also find both at Plaza Japan.

Shikijima Plakids
[Image: 049-Plarail-Train-Suite-Shikijima.jpg] [Image: 050-Plarail-Train-Suite-Shikijima.jpg]
Mizukaze Plakids
[Image: 046-Plarail-Twilight-Express-Mizukaze.jpg] [Image: 047-Plarail-Twilight-Express-Mizukaze.jpg] [Image: 048-Plarail-Twilight-Express-Mizukaze.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • PerkyHydrAan, Super
They are both pretty cool models for sure. I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed when I saw the re-release as I was hoping they were a one time, limited edition release but thats just me. I am sure they were quite popular for them to bring them back. I love the exclusive PlaKids. Big Grin
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Thanks for the info guys, I've not got any intention of getting them as if anything I'm going to be moving on my PlaRail, reluctantly I should add.  But a desire to get an N Gauge layout up and running, increase my rolling stock etc... as well as making space for it are the motivations.  Now if I could just win the lottery I could have them both and a barn to build some layouts in Smile
  • Super
Sad to hear Nigel, are you planning to sell the Plarails to fund your addiction enthusiasm for the N scale?
No not really, it's more about making space to accomodate the N scale models and layout I intend to build.  Out of choice I wouldn't sell them if I had the room to store them, when I decide to list them I'll probably let folks here know so that you can get in on them if you want as I do have some nice interesting items as I'm sure you remember.

I will however be keeping my PlaRail Advance for now regardless Smile
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2022, 12:43 PM by Super.)
  • Super
Will you incorporate the Plarail Advance with the N scale in the new Layout? I am picturing you building THIS now right next to an HO Layout. Big Grin
Now that is a difficult question to answer, maybe I'll have a shelf above the other stuff with some plarail track just for the advance trains.

What I have been considering is whether to do a mixed N scale and OO scale layout.  What I mean by that is having the OO gauge in the foreground and then some N scale behind it to give a sort of fooled perspective of another line in the distance Smile

The other thing I'm interested to build into the final layout will be multi level tracks for the N scale, although you rarely seem to get OO scale muli-levels due to issues with the trains managing the gradients it seems with Kato N scale its not a problem so I can't see myself sticking to a flat layout for that! Smile

As for where I'm going to build it?  Well I had been thinking of using one of my spare bedrooms, but now I'm toying with using my garage instead as I can't fit my car in it (car's too big) so at the moment its only acting as temporary storage for some stuff.  Although having said that my car is a bit of a sick puppy at the moment and is in the shop to see if they can find the problem, if not well she may get replaced and if I get a smaller model then the garage is back in use for its original purpose lol!

Boy this year though, it just keeps on giving - crap that is - Confused
  • Super
Well....Living Rooms are so over rated...You aren't living if you don't have your trains. Problem solved Big Grin