What is the motor inside the drive unit called?

8 Replies, 2747 Views

I have a 1999 Ben which needs to be restored. I need to know what the motor piece inside the drive unit is called as the current one is dead and needs to be replaced.
[-] The following 2 users Like ThomasSirHandel's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Therealblack64YT
do you have a donor engine or something?
dreaming of piles of track 
(05-03-2022, 06:51 PM)ThomasSirHandel Wrote: I have a 1999 Ben which needs to be restored. I need to know what the motor piece inside the drive unit is called as the current one is dead and needs to be replaced.

you can get these type of motor can be found in engines like Dennis Murdoch tender salty and other engines get a spare engine with this motor and use that
I liked tomy ever since I found out about it
Update: I think I found some square motors which might match on Amazon

They might also be on ebay

https://www.amazon.com/Small-Remote-Cont...47207&th=1
Thomas those motors you linked to on Amazon say they are for 3 to 6 volts where you need motors that are 1.5 volts.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • PerkyHydrAan, Therealblack64YT
If it helps, my suggestion would be to check Aliexpress, as although I admit they can be spotty on quality, I have always found they have virtually anything, even the most obscure things, so finding a 1.5v version of the motor you noted on Amazon should be no trouble.

Plus, given Amazon's recent history, I'd be willing to bet money the 6v version is just some dropshipper selling an Aliexpress item for a premium to sucker people out of money, I swear Amazon really has just become a pit of dropshipper hell where loads of relabelled goods are sold for way more than they are worth lol

( Edit - If you mean these
[Image: Screenshot-20220504-131850.png]
DO NOT buy the Amazon ones, $10 is an utter rip off ngl, because those aren't even special motors, those are just generic 3v micro motors - Do yourself a favour, go to Aliexpress and search either 'Micro motor 1.5v' or 'Mini 4WD motor' and order there - I used a Mini 4WD motor for a transplant into a Plarail 400 Series with a burnt out motor, and she runs as sweet as you like now Big Grin)
Been building Plarail worlds since 2001; Building when I can in 2023 Cool
[-] The following 1 user Likes Plarail Man UK's post:
  • Super
Have you tried hitting the dead motor with more than 1.5 volts? I have heard that works sometimes. I think it revived one train I thought had a dead motor. I think I used around 10 volts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jessetrains's post:
  • Super
I have used that method also Jessie with sometimes good results. Using a 9 volt battery with jumper wires is a good jolt then reinstall a 1.5 volt AA battery to see if it works. Give that a try T-Sir to possibly revive Ben before having to do a complete rebuild.

BTW: I have also crossed the wires (+to-  -to+) to jolt a particular stubborn motor in reverse first with good results. I also will note that once the motor runs, remove your jumper wires to relieve any chance that the 9 volts would burn out the motor.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Will check out the Aliexpress ones. Will be ordering some after the 14th.