Engine Swaps

9 Replies, 3252 Views

Are there any engines that would allow for more torque as to pull more carriages?
(also, off topic but where can I get replacements for the old plastic flexible tender connectors?)
If you are referring to Motors I would assume any of the higher rpm motors would pull more. Personally, I like the Tamiya motors and my go to for strength and speed would be the Power Dash but they have doubled in price over the last few years. Good thing I stocked up on them when they were just under $5. But really, I think the other Tamiya motors may be perfect too. Have you seen the motor comparison video from member Toys,trainsThings?

As far as the connectors...are you talking about the ones with a hole on each end and have a loop for running a wire through?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Connectors like these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162367788627

They work very well in my experience.

And these can usually be found on aliexpress as well I think.
[-] The following 1 user Likes confusedanddelayed's post:
  • Super
Hi Super, I haven’t as yet seen the comparison video, but I have heard of the Tamiya brand.

As for the connection, it is the one you’re describing.
(For clarification, it’s the one on this engine here. https://www.ebay.com/itm/195012285771)

Also btw thanks confusedanddelayed, but unfortunately $16 postage is a bit much unless I’m planning to buy a whole ton of them
[-] The following 2 users Like Logstar53's post:
  • confusedanddelayed, Super
Wow, $16 for such a small, light weight package...wow. Can't remember but are you downunder Logstar?

Here is the comparison video
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • confusedanddelayed
Yeah, they must be outside the states, because the linked listing was free shipping to the CONUS. I suspect at least someone must be selling those connectors in the UK/EU or in Oz, so hopefully Logstar can find what they need cheaply!

And I saw Logstar linked to a coupled gordon with the factory coupling to show what they were describing. I've never seen anyone sell extras of the original "wired" couplers, but even if they did I would be out of luck. I'm no good with wiring, so I'd never be able to successfully disconnect one end of the wires, thread it through the original "closed" version and solder the wires back!
[-] The following 1 user Likes confusedanddelayed's post:
  • Super
Yes, I agree C&D, those aftermarket, custom made couplers are fantastic for replacing broken ones without disassembling the engine and tender. I wish, but haven't seen, someone come up with re-making the originals and selling them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • confusedanddelayed
Honestly, as far as the couplers go, I would design and 3D print one, however it wouldn't go up inclines due to being rigid (which is a bit of a problem). The soldering and wirework isn't really a concern, as I have some experience in the area, however it'd be a full replace on some of my engines as I broke some of the wires when I was younger (seriously, TOMY, what were you guys thinking with those things). Gonna go see if anyone sells those connectors or something similar in the land of upside down, I'll let you guys know if I find anything. Also, in reference to the motors, any idea where I could find some here in Australia?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Logstar53's post:
  • Super
Are there none offered on Ebay Australia?
nope, nothing but the one already sent here and a different listing of the same thing by the same seller (with 16 dollars postage)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Logstar53's post:
  • Super