White Footplates

6 Replies, 2316 Views

as every tomy fan knows, the plarail engines in the thomas range have beautiful white footplates. if you don't have a plarail engine, and you want a white footplate, what would be the best way to apply one?

idea 1: take the footplate off said engine and whiten it with spray paint and tape
idea 2: buy a plarail engine and swap the chassis
idea 3: paint by hand
dreaming of piles of track 
[-] The following 2 users Like stainedgaming's post:
  • Super, Therealblack64YT
one thing I'm going to say Is the footplates are mostly grey than white but its a common mistake.
 I would say idea 1 is the best idea but second best one would be to paint it yourself but the footplates look more grey than white light grey it depends on the budget and materials you have spray paint is probably the best with tape and a bit of knowledge.
I liked tomy ever since I found out about it
[-] The following 1 user Likes Therealblack64YT's post:
  • Super
Be aware that just trying to spray things white (or any very pale colour) is doomed to disappointment unless you use a primer coat beneath it. I recommend a light coat of acrylic grey primer available from any automotive parts outlet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
thanks for all the tips, black is right as i have a steam along thomas from japan which has a greyish running board
i'll have a look on the internet if i can find some grey primer

this paint seems the best, however i know nothing about any paint so i just picked one
https://www.google.com/search?q=acrylic+...1398277189
[-] The following 1 user Likes stainedgaming's post:
  • Super
I've used Tamiya Light Grey Primer and mixed a batch of Apple Barrel Snow White and Dolphin Grey together to get a grey for the footplates and then airbrushed it. That's what I did with Duck and Oliver.
- roxaclock

"see ya around!"
[-] The following 2 users Like FfarquharDeveloper's post:
  • chrisjo, Super
just checked duck and oliver, they look fantastic! i'll try your solution if i agree with the price
i would like just a single paint that is the right colour, but if that doesn't work out i'll make my own
  • Super
Just now, I searched up 'Dark white paint' and it seems it's the perfect colour for a running board. I thought plain normal white was too bright, so i searched this and it fits just right.
  • Super