No more track packs?

11 Replies, 3057 Views

(08-31-2022, 05:30 AM)Mister No Wrote: Those buckets were nice too, but they contain mainly coloured tracks... I raised a question of discontinuing simple gray TM2 track packs. I needed some TM2 straight tracks and 90-degree curves for a new project of mine, but I'll manage somehow... When I make videos, I just take some rails out of my main layout, and put them back after I finish shooting. But if a company produces trains and sets, they should make track packs & extensions too, right? What about 1/2 & 1/4 straight rails? Gone.

Also, those new AEG curves (6 in a circle instead of 8) with which you can't build a 90-degree curve are really annoying... For example, with the new tracks you can build this:
...but not this:
Or this:
As for simple curves, you can have this:
Or this:
But you can't make a 90-degrees curve like this:
That's bad.

The switch to 60-degree turns instead of 45-degree happened back in 2019; the first set with the new curves was #FXX64 Water Tower Set. It kind of flew under the radar because... who was even buying the sets by that point? I can't imagine many people were.
[-] The following 2 users Like Fred_Pelhay's post:
  • Mister No, Super
@Bkvir208

Thank you for your offer, but like I said, I'll manage somehow. I'll probably need a few straight rails and some old 45-degree curved tracks for my new project, but it won't happen overnight anyway. So, I'm good. Thanks again!

By the way, I'm lately buying only staff from the EU: the shipping prices from America or Japan and my local VAT (25%) are killing my wish to shop anywhere else. For example, if I buy $9.99 new motorized AEG Emily from Amazon US, I would pay $86.10 with all the shipping and taxes.

Judging by the photos, you have some nice things there! Every company that produces trains should (continue) to produce such accessories. It's a shame that Mattel (for now) is going the other way.

@ Fred Pelhay

Yup, I remember. The Water Tower sets are a good example. There was one Water Tower Set with Thomas and another with Percy, if I'm correct. With Thomas' Water Tower set, you could build a right angle. The set contained old 45-degree curved tracks. Behind Thomas, we can see a 90-degree (right angle) curve built with two small 45-degree curved tracks (TM2 CS tracks):

[Image: water-tower-thomas.webp]

With Percy's track set you mentioned, one couldn't do that any more. Here we have only new TM2 60-degree C tracks:

[Image: water-tower-percy.jpg]

AEG uses only 60-degree C-tracks as curves (curved slopes have the same angle).
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mister No's post:
  • Super