Motor Tomica Plarail New Town Set

18 Replies, 3725 Views

Hello everyone!

Bought this set few years back. I am so in love with this set when i saw this in the youtube. This set kinda "stick together" both of the plarail and plaroad. this set is one of the "diorama" that have interaction between Plarail and plaroad. There are similar set to this set, It is the Yurikamome Station set, but it was so "hard" for me to get...😁 Hope i will get that set also in the future....

The plaroad itself have 3 lines for the bus. The right Line is manual stop and go for the bus. The middle line is when the bus stop and roll the decoration in the left corner. And the left line is the one have interaction with the train above. it will let the bus stop, and the train above also will be stopped, both together will go almost at the same time.

Here is some picture and Video related to it...  

[Image: IMG-20220813-231721.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220813-231828.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220813-232150.jpg]

[-] The following 4 users Like Siupasiope's post:
  • chrisjo, generic_truck_69420, PerkyHydrAan, Super
That's a lovely set, I always wanted that one.
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Super
Very nice pickup Siupa and nice video too. Aren't there also a couple other variation sets released that have similar elevated stations and road underneath?.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Siupasiope
There are three other sets I know of. I've lifted the following directly from my Tomica World Motor Vehicles thread: https://blueplastictracks.com/showthread.php?tid=4288

TW-18 SILVER BUS was only sold as part of the TGV Set 7430 and its French / Dutch variant the Circuit Gare Routiere / Cicuit Gael Deel 4774. These sets and the bus in them are based on the 1999 Motor Tomica New Transit Yurikamome Set (モータートミカ プラレール 新交通ゆりかもめセット), which was itself a revision of the 1997 B/O Tomica New Town Station Set (B/Oトミカ ニュータウン駅セット).

[Image: TW-18-5x4-a.jpg] [Image: TW-18_5x3.jpg] [Image: TW-18_5x4_b.jpg]
[Image: 7430_box.jpg] [Image: 4774-box.jpg]
[Image: Yurikamome_Box_for_blog.jpg] [Image: New_Town_Set.jpg]

I guess you could say that's four, because Siupasiope's Tomica/Plarail box is different from all the ones I've shown above, but only because of the change of name from "B/O Tomica" to "Motor Tomica" in 1997. The contents are probably identical, although production was moved from Japan to China.

[Image: image.png]

Incidentally, if you look closely at the Yurikamome box, you'll see that the Great Seto suspension bridge that we discussed recently (https://blueplastictracks.com/showthread...8#pid62438) re-appears in this set, re-branded as the Tokyo Port Connecting Bridge which carries the Yurikamome line over Tokyo Bay (though without the solar-powered lighting, which was added c. 2005. It's now known as the Rainbow Bridge).

[-] The following 4 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, PerkyHydrAan, Siupasiope, Super
Very nice information chrisjo. I just realized that my box have another variant stated B/O Tomica ...the other similar set that i see up often are those yurikamome set (left bottom) and the top Right i only saw it once in the online market (i forget where i saw that set).... the top left with the TGV train, i never see that in the online market........
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2022, 12:10 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 4 users Like Siupasiope's post:
  • chrisjo, generic_truck_69420, PerkyHydrAan, Super
@Siupasiope

To be fair, the TGV set is really hard to come by, in any condition, much less boxed, possibly more so than the original Japanese variants.

I'm lucky, I have a complete TGV set that came without the original box, in pretty decent condition all considered, and the TGV station is always one of the centrepieces of my layouts simply because I think it's one of the best diorama pieces out there.

In my case, it cost me around £110 on Ebay, and I havent seen one for sale since either, and that was nearly 2 years ago!

More interestingly, mine was imported from France, and although I've seen UK listings for the set before, I have an odd feeling it may have been either exclusive to Continental Europe, or if not exclusive, at least sold more widely there, as I've seen more listings from EU countries than the UK.

One thing, aside from the station, that drives up the value is the silver TGV engine - This is supposed to represent the then-new TGV Atlantique model, whereas the earlier orange TGV (sold as an individual model, and much more common) represents the original Sud-Est model. This is kind of like how the Amtrak Super Spiral is highly prized and expensive, because it has the exclusive Amtrak F-unit diesel, and was produced in fairly limited quantities, as opposed to having a particularly unique track layout.
Been building Plarail worlds since 2001; Building when I can in 2023 Cool
[-] The following 3 users Like Plarail Man UK's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Siupasiope, Super
Do I remember correctly that the silver TGV train was only released in this set and that is why it is so hard to find and commands such a premium price?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Plarail Man UK
The silver TGV was also available individually...

[-] The following 3 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Plarail Man UK, Super
Now that you showed me, I do recognize that box Dr Chris. Was this released at near the same time as the set or possibly much later or maybe visa versa?
The release dates of Tomica World products are mostly unknown, within certain limits, the whole lot were between 1998 and 2002. We can deduce some more accurate time ranges from changes in packaging style, but that isn't enough to help very much with the silver TGV set and the silver TGV individual packaging, in relation to each other.

Edit: partly wrong - see below

I will be doing a complete Tomica World product list along the same lines as my Hypercity list; I have all the information I'm likely to get, but it's not going to be before this coming winter when I have more time.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2022, 07:04 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Super