Hornby Schools Loco Info

8 Replies, 4017 Views

Hi Super,

Remember you asked about a missing screw?  Well I've found the service sheets for this type of Schools class locomotive (there are two, one with the motor in the body the other with the motor in the tender), this is for the tender based motor version.  Having looked at the sheets I think the screw that is missing is probably part number S.1017 so I'm including a couple of links to eBay sellers in the UK so you can see if you can find one locally.  If not let me know and I'll get one and post it over Smile

Cheers, Nigel

[Image: Service-Sheet-No133-A.jpg]

[Image: Service-Sheet-No133-ABack.jpg]

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313524172223?...SwgExgmRlu

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174961623719?...SwGOZhWDs6
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Super
Many thanks for the information Nigel. I will look into to finding one over here which could be just trying to find the size and thread type because the shipping for one screw shows about just under $50usd to me, had a big chuckle over that. I was surprised to see that the OEM screw is slotted. I have thousands of screws so I will have to take a look in all my stash (never threw away any screws and often salvage any from things I was throwing away) so I may have one. I am assuming that since Hornby is a British company that the screw is metric.

Ah...PetersSpares, I have bought several things from them and they never disappointed but shipping from the UK now seems to be too steep. I will let you know it I can find one or a way to source one here in the States.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
If you can't find just a screw for a good price, you could try to get a schools body/chassis with a screw or a scrap schools locomotive as that might be easier to find

There may be other locomotives with that same body screw
The magic of the GWR
[-] The following 1 user Likes Donald9Douglas10Oliver11mp's post:
  • Super
A screw like that could be taped to a piece of paper and posted as a letter.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
Even so I can't imagine a screw even in a small padded poly envelope would weigh in at no more than half an ounce is almost $50 for that...geesh...something seems wrong about that.
Hi Super,

The ebay shipping costs are simply insane for international orders, I see the same all the time with stuff listed in the USA. Admittedly not that much for a screw lol, but still silly money, especially as they also usually carry a 'import tax' which is often as much as the shipping costs as well.

Don't panic, if you can't find one just let me know and I'll get one locally and send it over, I'm sure it would only be a couple of £'s at worst.

Cheers, Nigel
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Many thanks Nigel, I have sent over a message to PetersSpares asking about the cost of shipping. I have checked into all my stash of screws and it does, in fact, look to be metric as the ones that I have that look close are a skosh to big or a skosh too small. Plus the threads on this are very thin, thinner than most standard screws. Even the picture at PetersSpares don't look small enough but it may be because it is zoomed in really close.
Hi Super,

I would expect them to be metric, but who knows, the age of the loco is such that we may still have been doing imperial at that point. Let me know what you hear from PetersSpares, but don't go paying over the odds. I'm sure I could post one in a letter for only a couple of £ so even if I have to buy one from him to post it might still work out cheaper Smile

Cheers, N.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Thank you Mr Nigels 😊
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Nigels