English or Japanese?

1 Replies, 843 Views

I have been thinking lately about why Plarail produced trains for the Japanese Market with English on them.
Now you might say that it is because on the TV shows they have English on the engines so you have to produce them with the English so kids can Identify them.
I like this way of thinking, but what about Hiro?  He was a Japanese engine who was shipped over to Sodor to work the railway.
Should he at least have his name in Japanese on there?
Doesn't a Japanese produced toy made for the Japanese market and of a Japanese engine at least get he right to have his name in Japanese on the engine, even if the English is there also?
[-] The following 1 user Likes AOF04's post:
  • GreatGordonFan
On Deviantart, I once actually found a piece of fan art depicting Hiro with a Japanese nameplate. I can't remember the user who made it, but I did leave a comment about his decision back then. From what I recall him telling me, real Japanese railways normally use Latin letters on rolling stock with logos/names on them. It was shortly before Yong Bao (who has Chinese letters painted on the cab), so he probably did it to look more unique.