Plarail Genesis Evangelion [with a side of demons and kitties]

1 Replies, 1009 Views

Well folks, it's unboxing time again!

So, this one's all very anime themed [and yes, if it's not obvious i'm a massive anime fan, which is what got me interested in Japanese culture, because I wanted to understand what I was watching better, and learn about a culture other than my native British ^_^]

So, without further ado...

The MaBeee battery control system

[Image: IMG20221008104719.jpg]

Not a Plarail exclusive item, but rather something that can be used in a whole range of items. That said, they have optimised certain features clearly with the intent of it being used in stuff like Plarail, so yeah. See my posts elsewhere [https://blueplastictracks.com/showthread.php?tid=5094] for a more in-depth look at this, and an important note about compatibility that I should clearly have been paying attention to when I purchased this.

Meitetsu 2000 Series 'Mu-Sky Type Eva'

[Image: IMG20221008132650.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221008132654.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221008132657.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221008132949.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221008133012.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221008133030.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221008133035.jpg]

This train type is used on the Meitetsu Railway [Nagoya Railway] system, mostly on airport express [Mu-Sky] services to Central Japan International Airport, but occasionally on other limited-express services. These are tilting express trains with a maximum speed of 75mph, reaching the airport from Nagoya in around 28 minutes. This special livery was a partnership with the Neon Genesis Evangelion anime, with the livery being based around the 'main' giant robot Unit-01, hence the green and purple colouring, Unit-01 designs, and NERV logos on the front doors. 

In terms of a Plarail model, this is a repaint of the existing Plarail 2000 series mould, so nothing here is really any different aside from the colour. It uses the older style C battery chassis with a twin-speed gearbox, so won't be compatible with the new universal AA battery system, but is still a must-own for Eva fans.

JR-West 500 Series Shinkansen 'Type-Eva/Unit-01'

[Image: IMG20221008131021.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221008131430.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221008131435.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221008131436.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221008131445.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221008131603.jpg]

This beauty is the other half of the pair of special livery 500 Series Shinkansen operated by JR West in 2017; The other of course, is the Hello Kitty Shinkansen. Like the Mu-Sky, this was another partnership with the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion, with the entire train repainted in colours designed to resemble Unit-01 from the series. The interior of the train was extensively themed, including a coach fitted with a scale replica of the machine's cockpit as seen in the show for people to pose for photographs inside [yep, for real]. This livery was removed in 2018, with a later re-apperance for a limited period in 2018 at the Kyoto Railway Museum when their 500 Series coach was painted in the livery for a time.

As Plarail models go, this is like the Mu-Sky; A repaint of an existing model. This is the stock Plarail 500 Series, including light function, using the universal AA battery chassis, painted in the special Evangelion livery, and is a must-own for any Eva fans like the Mu-Sky.

Demon Slayer - Mugen Train special set

[Image: IMG20221008134114.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221008134124.jpg]

[Image: 985df7c7-94fe-491a-9eb8-57c986b59852.jpg]

[Image: d7ee6115-9013-4c9b-b184-20aa894580b1.jpg]

A promotional tie-in with the anime franchise Demon Slayer, it seems almost a given that the movie, set on a train, would get a model train made of it; It just so happens the model would be a Plarail one Big Grin

Featuring 5 Pla-Kids of the main characters, Tanjiro, Nezuko, Zenitsu, Inosuke and Kyojuro, along with the engine and a coach, this set is [in my opinion] a really nice recreation of the train from the film. The coach also has Pla-Kid footholds so you can pose the characters on the roof [like in the film].

The engine is seemingly supposed to be the JGR 8620 class, although it's not certain. The 8620 is the type used to run special real-world tourist trains based on the movie. The model itself appears to be the Plarail SL Asoboy, minus the smoke deflectors and with a different front-plate sticker, while the carriage is a slightly modified 'SuHaFu-32' coach, which again appears to be another stock Plarail model that is currently sold with the C12 engine, meaning this is an unusual train which is potentially inspired by several types of real-world stock, and evidently Tomy have had to improvise somewhat by combining the closest matches they had in their catalogue and modifying them as nessecary. For what it is worth, Demon Slayer is set in Taisho-Era Japan, so this means the stock used had to be fairly old to match Smile

Shinkalion Hello Kitty

[Image: IMG20221008140602.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221008140619.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221008143942.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221008150836.jpg]

So, who ever thought of combining the most kawaii Japanese mascot character with a giant fighting robot? As well as it being based on a Shinkansen no less. Somebody obviously, and the results are GLORIOUS.

This combines Takara's Transformers with Tomy's Plarail, and does it incredibly well honestly, with the transformations being initially complicated, but relatively straightforward once you get the hang of it, and uses the various portions of the train in very creative ways to create the final product [including a shield/missile launcher made from the rear coach, and a giant bow sword Big Grin]. 

Probably the most chuckle-worthy element is how they've retained Hello Kitty's non-violent nature by making all the missiles apple-juice containers - The box image with missiles being fired, and the sticker decals are all clearly apple shaped xD This is easily one of the most creative ways to convert missiles i've ever seen, while also tying into an established thing where Hello Kitty likes apples.

As a Plarail model, it's also pretty good - unlike the regular version, there are obvious signs this one transforms [hatches and things], and it's strictly push-along only, but it rolls well enough; That said, I doubt this'll replace a regular motorised Hello Kitty Shinkansen on anyone's layout anytime soon, but in it's robot mode, it makes a very cool accessory to stand trackside. 

Shinkalion Type Eva Z

[Image: IMG20221008151831.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221008153110.jpg]

[Image: rn-image-picker-lib-temp-3fff4b3b-8d6f-4...d0240f.jpg]

[Image: rn-image-picker-lib-temp-59912f26-be70-4...7d2ea7.jpg]

Oh boy, where do we begin with this one Big Grin

So this literally brings things to a whole new level of deep - This is a giant robot, based on a pair of trains [both the 500 Series and Mu-Sky], based on a giant robot, which itself was inspired by several giant robots [and British sci-fi series from director Gerry Anderson, a particular favourite of mine], piloted in the Shinkalion giant robot anime by Shinji Ikari, the pilot of Eva Unit-01 from the original Evangelion giant robot series. 

This gets loaded on top of the Shinkalion anime [remember, this is ALL canon] being a giant robot series about transforming trains where carriages become robots, cannons and swords travelling at supersonic speeds, Hello Kitty is a giant robot warrior made of a train, and Hatsune Miku is one of the giant robot pilots [yes, seriously]. And of course, this is all tied into the Plarail line as well, so these trains can be pushed along your Plarail layout. 

So they armed a giant Plarail robot based on a giant robot with the Lance of Longinius [the red fork shaped thing] which in Eva canon is basically the most powerful weapon in the universe, the use of which will basically divide the world by zero in the name of killing giant aliens called Angels. Also, a load of deep philosophy, religious symbolism, deeply flawed characters with a laundry list of issues, the most badass glasses user in all of anime history [Gendo Ikari], plenty of fanservice,  and the entire world being converted to orange soda at the end while 2 dudes chill on a beach [in one of the MANY endings anyway as there's several, of course ^_^].

Basically, the perfect anime for ages 3 and up, which is the reccomended age for ALL THE EVA PRODUCTS. Just for reference, in the UK anyway, the Evangelion anime is rated [varying across the series] between a PG and a 15 [and it's pushing it to say you'd show a 3 year old kid a PG], and to be honest even the PG rated stuff is pretty intense lol Big Grin

As a Plarail model, it's also pretty good - Like the Hello Kitty version, there are obvious signs this one transforms [hatches and things], and it's strictly push-along only, but it rolls well enough; That said, I doubt this'll replace a regular motorised Type-Eva Shinkansen on anyone's layout anytime soon, but in it's robot mode, it makes a very cool accessory to stand trackside.

So, in conclusion?

Awesome, awesome, and awesome. Being a massive Eva fan, it just feels so right to finally have all the Eva gear in my collection, and the Hello Kitty and Demon Slayer parts are also very cool indeed, rounding off an awesome haul of anime-themed Plarail...

Which evidently i'm going to have to add to [and presumably add to this thread] when the train and Shinkalion versions of Unit-02 come out, because Asuka [Unit-02's pilot] is joint best girl with Rei [Unit-01's substitute pilot, go watch the series for it to make sense], and there is NO WAY I am missing out on this complete set Big Grin

[Image: 540-5406502-asuka-langley-soryu-and-rei-...hd-png.png]

Just don't make me choose OK, I can have both if I want to :3
Been building Plarail worlds since 2001; Building when I can in 2023 Cool
[-] The following 3 users Like Plarail Man UK's post:
  • Mister No, Super, Viktor
For the first 2 trains, in my eyes, it's a question of livery. The Meitetsu (Nagoya Railway) Series 2000 Mu-Sky (or μSKY) looks rather...dull in its conventional livery:

[Image: plarail-livery-1.jpg]

Shinkansen Series 500 is also not that spectacular in its regular colours:
[Image: plarail-livery-3.jpg]

But when in that "Evangelion" violet livery, they both look terrific!!

Generally, I don't like the look of Shinkansen, because they look like aircraft; like jets that just don't "rotate" after they reach V1... Japanese commuter trains are my cup of tea. But this EVA (and the new EVA-2, coming in December) are so beautiful (mostly due to their spectacular liveries) that I'm actually considering ordering them... 😊
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 4 users Like Mister No's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, GreatGordonFan, Plarail Man UK, Super