Ferrocaril de Soller

7 Replies, 2409 Views

Edit: This was originally a thread entitled "Where Am I". I've changed the title now that GGF has correctly identified.

Clue #1.  View from our terrace:

[Image: DSC06747crop.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, GreatGordonFan, Mister No
I think you are in Sóller, Majorca. The trams in the image are a match with the port de Soller trams.

[Image: Port-de-soller-to-soller-tram-arp.jpg]

Also, the church in the image matches the church in Soller.
Train it, plane it, you name it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes GreatGordonFan's post:
  • chrisjo
(10-16-2022, 06:34 PM)GreatGordonFan Wrote: I think you are in Sóller, Majorca.
Well that didn't take long. You are absolutely right! Have you been there?

The station in Sóller is the terminus for trains from the capital, Palma, and for trams that go down to the port.

These are two of the four locomotives that run from Palma to Sóller, at the halt & passing place five minutes up the terraces behind us:

[Image: DSC06741-50.jpg]

[Image: DSC06805-50.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, GreatGordonFan, Super
I haven't been to Soller (though I'd love to visit). I just looked at some details of the image (trams, types of buildings) and a couple of minutes of research later, I found the location (I love geography).

However, a noteworthy tramway I have visited is the Great Orme Tramway. That one is an absolute gem.
Train it, plane it, you name it!
[-] The following 2 users Like GreatGordonFan's post:
  • chrisjo, Super
I was there in 2007 and the "Tren de Sóller" is absolutely fantastic. A narrow-gauge (914 mm) electric railway (built in 1912) with that beautiful familiar sound of old electric railways and trams that only those who lived deep into the last century will recognize. There was an exhibition of Picasso ceramics at the station building in Sóller, and the small, always crowded old trams (Tranvía de Sóller), which run from Soller to the port (Puerto de Sóller), completely delighted me. Trams were supplied from the city of Palma (after the tram traffic was abandoned there), Bilbao and from Lisbon (Portugal). I visited the island precisely because of this fantastic train and trams.

There are lots of wonderful museums (don't miss the Pilar and Joan Miro Foundation!) and interesting castles with dungeons where visitors can see torture devices. By the way, when you are in Mallorca and you like trains, you should definitely visit other beautiful island places by local trains that leave from the intermodal station in Palma. There is a nice little toy museum in the town of Sa Pobla. There is also a metro to the university of Palma; they opened the metro the same year I visited Mallorca. In any case, for fans of old trams and old (and new) trains, this island is a paradise pure. 😊
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 3 users Like Mister No's post:
  • chrisjo, GreatGordonFan, Super
Thanks to Mr No for the background info. Before I get to the trams, here are a few other interesting bits & pieces:

Plasser-Theurer Unima 3 track tamping machine.
[Image: DSC06714crop.jpg]

Unilok Tracktronic Road/Rail Shunter with added tool arm.
[Image: DSC06787crop.jpg]

Overhead line inspection vehicle.
[Image: DSC06789crop.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Super
I absolutely love that wooden Tram although...in my mind, I don't see it as a Tram... What would make the coaches fit perfect is if they are wooden also...are they?

What is the green 'thing' in the above picture? It looks like something that would make a neat non-motorized shunter for Plarail.

That Overhead Line Inspection Vehicle looks like it weighs tons.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Mister No
(10-17-2022, 12:08 PM)Super Wrote: I absolutely love that wooden Tram although...in my mind, I don't see it as a Tram... What would make the coaches fit perfect is if they are wooden also...are they?

There are trains and trams. This is the train (route: Palma - Soller):

[Image: soller-1.webp]

It is nice and wooden. The head unit is lovely, and, speaking of the interior, as I can recall, the head units are not all the same. 

[Image: soller-4.jpg]

The wagons are also wooden, but their interior is much simpler. 

[Image: soller-5.jpg]

[Image: soller-6.jpg]

Now, that was the train. The tram (Soller - Port de Soller) is also wooden, and can pull 2 trailers. Many tram trailers are open, some are not. This is the tram in Soller streets, heading for the sea (the port) in motor+trailer+trailer+motor combination:

[Image: soller-2.webp]

Both the train and the tram share the same (and rather unique) narrow gauge of 914 mm.
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 2 users Like Mister No's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, GreatGordonFan