Doraemon Tram

7 Replies, 1275 Views

So, relatively speaking this is not a very notable train set at first, but there're quite some stuff I'd like to show.

[Image: DSC-0635.jpg]

This is the Doraemon Tram, a repainted Manyosen Light Rail Vehicle 1000. This set was initially introduced as a Plarail SC, a series of trains painted with cartoon characters and such, but now it's an S one. Shinkansen 500 Hello Kitty also went through the same process.

[Image: DSC-0640.jpg]

Upon closer inspection, you can see that the two cars of this train are quite short, evidenced by the thick foam buffers and when you bring other trains to compare.

[Image: DSC-0641.jpg]

The cars of the Doraemon Tram is only longer than middle car of both S-sized Shinkansen and ES-sized train. This means that it's also shorter than the typical motor chassis. Here comes another unique part of the tram.

[Image: DSC-0634.jpg]

This tram has a custom built motor car, which you have to remove the roof to access. It's still accept AA batteries as normal. And still run like normal.

I bought this tram for one, it's Doraemon, a character that is very popular for many Vietnamese, including me, having this train is like having part of my childhood image; and two, I'd like a two-car Plarail train set to further adding the different sizes of Plarail train sets. 
I'd also half hoped that I'd get the SC version as that's the image the seller showed online, but no matter.

[Image: DSC-0645.jpg]
Hunting Shinkansen for life (but not at all costs) :>
[-] The following 3 users Like HanoibusGamer's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Mister No, Super
Very nice Hano. Is there any differences between the S and SC versions?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • HanoibusGamer
All trains in the SC series will have some sort of anime/cartoon character themed wrapping/body, which means they will cost a bit more (compare to other trains with similar size and functions) due to licensing reasons.
SC trains would also receive a red box instead of the typical yellow + white/train colors.

And I just realised that Plarail has already retired the SC series, probably, as they no longer sell them on their website, just the information. That might explains why some SC trains changed into S trains.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HanoibusGamer's post:
  • Super
The first SC-series train, SC-01 Kitaro & Medama wrapping KiHa40, came out in June 2018.  They got up to SC-10 and then started re-using existing numbers.

The last SC-series to be released was SC-02, the JR Kyushu (Pixar) Waku Waku Adventure Shinkansen in January 2021, (re-using number SC-02 which was originally the Pokemon wrapping KiHa100).

For some perverse reason that I've never understood, the JR Kyushu (Mickey) Waku Waku Adventure Shinkansen released in July 2019 was not part of the SC-series, it came out in a regular yellow box but without any series number.

SC-01, 02, 04 (Fujikyuko 6000 Srs Thomas Land), 05 (Yamanote Line, Rilakkuma wrapping), and 09 (Tokyo Metro Ginza Line, Kumamon wrapping) were in the October 2021 catalogue, but had disappeared by the time the April 2022 catalogue came along.

As HanoibusGamer says, the following have been re-issued in the regular S-series, both at the same price as they were before. The only differences are the boxes.

SC-06 as S-46 Doraemon Tram in December 2021
SC-07 as S-18 Hello Kitty Shinkansen in October 2021
[-] The following 3 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • HanoibusGamer, Mister No, Super
Little Doraemon Tram is one of my favourite Plarail train. If someone is interested, I made a few videos of my Doraemon trams (I have the first edition that doesn't differ from the latter, I think): DORAEMON TRAMS

There is an interesting story behind this tram. It is based on Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Fujiko Fujio, the pen name of the duo Hiroshi Fujimoto and Motoo Abiko. The series has also been adapted into a successful anime series and media franchise. The story revolves around an earless robotic cat named Doraemon, who travels back in time from the 22nd century to aid a boy named Nobita Nobi (野比のび太, Nobi Nobita).

Doraemon's birthday is on September 3rd, 2112. 2012 was exactly one hundred years before Doraemon's birthday, so various plans and events were held on this occasion. The Man'yo Line Doraemon tram was one of the projects. It started running in September 2012 between Takaoka and Shinminato.

Doraemon’s story plot is based on a real-life incidence. The story has received so much of sarcastic criticism that it has now become a controversy. The real emotional story of the series Doraemon is that “Nobita” was suffering from Schizophrenia. It is a disorder in which a person has less ability to think, feel and behave clearly. Moreover, his mental controlling power diminishes. Nobita was also abused and bullied in his school by his classmates because he suffered from this mental condition. His friends left him fearing that one-day Nobita can provide harm to them and he became lonely. Due to the disease and loneliness, he felt mediocre, abandoned and stressed out.

His medical condition forced him to imagine the character of Doraemon to help him in every possible way. Later on, making Doraemon Nobita’s best (imaginary) friend. At 16, he started medical counseling for the treatment of his disease. The doctor then told him that Doraemon does not exist. It is just a mere imagination of his unconscious mind over which he needs to put control. This left Nobita in a complete shock that he was lonely again. He suffered mental trauma. Finally, Nobita couldn’t bear the truth. He shot himself by his father’s gun and committed suicide at the age of 16. (Source: procaffenation.com)
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 2 users Like Mister No's post:
  • HanoibusGamer, Super
Thank you all as I have just learned something that I don't think I knew of before. 😃
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • HanoibusGamer
(12-14-2022, 05:55 PM)Mister No Wrote: Doraemon’s story plot is based on a real-life incidence. The story has received so much of sarcastic criticism that it has now become a controversy. The real emotional story of the series Doraemon is that “Nobita” was suffering from Schizophrenia. It is a disorder in which a person has less ability to think, feel and behave clearly. Moreover, his mental controlling power diminishes. Nobita was also abused and bullied in his school by his classmates because he suffered from this mental condition. His friends left him fearing that one-day Nobita can provide harm to them and he became lonely. Due to the disease and loneliness, he felt mediocre, abandoned and stressed out.
[quote pid='63997' dateline='1671040506']
His medical condition forced him to imagine the character of Doraemon to help him in every possible way. Later on, making Doraemon Nobita’s best (imaginary) friend. At 16, he started medical counseling for the treatment of his disease. The doctor then told him that Doraemon does not exist. It is just a mere imagination of his unconscious mind over which he needs to put control. 
[/quote]

This isn't cannon to Doraemon lore. This is just a dark fan theory that is commonly spread on the internet. Many times in the show you see other characters interacting with Doraemon in the past and future, as well as the main lore mainly mentioning Nobita's decedent's who know/sent Doraemon back in time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThomasBlue's post:
  • HanoibusGamer
Oh yeah, I didn't actually read the entire thing haha, just the first three paragraphs.
So, I did deeply remember that Fujiko Fujio's inspiration for Doraemon was that he saw a self-balancing toy and cats, then the rest is history. We had a comic book illustrating the author's life at one time.
Nobita, his family and his friends (as well as everybody else in the manga) accept Doraemon as a physical thing.
That urban legend might be a little bit more accurate if the manga series ends at the 6th episode, in which Doraemon did leave Nobita in the end of the episode (which was meant to be an actual ending by the way) .