New Friends Duncan Box

8 Replies, 2185 Views

I thought I would ask this since it's been bothering me for a while now. Is there any way for me to open this Duncan and be able to "re-seal" it? Reason being he has a lot of I don't even know what inside, it's weird gunk (might be a little hard to see)
[Image: 20230112-172940.jpg]
[Image: 20230112-172959.jpg]

When messaging the seller they said that they buy from storage units and that the stuff is probably "dust", I don't know about you, but that does not look like "dust".
[Image: response.jpg]
This was on the 19th of Nov. so quite a bit ago now. Any help would be appreciated! I can also make a video showing off the Duncan up close if that helps but it'll have to be tomorrow. Thanks!
TrackMaster Expert (kinda)
[-] The following 2 users Like Splodge's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Super
I wouldn't think there is a way to re-seal it like new. It is odd that dust would get inside the plastic I would think. It does look like strange stuff. Now as a guess.... since it was in a storage unit for many years....could it have been stored upside down and because (I think) those clear plastic tops are not sealed all the way around that condensation got in which is not uncommon if its kept in an unit that is not climate controlled. Does any of the cardboard look like it may have been damp?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • Donald9Douglas10Oliver11mp, Splodge
The cardboard doesn't look like it may have been damp at one point, but I think your suggestion is pretty likely and reasonable. Looking at where this "dust" is makes it looks like it was indeed stored upside down, the stuff is on the bottom of the trucks and Duncan himself and most notably wrapped around the underside of their buffers...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Splodge's post:
  • Super
Even if that's the reason as to why it's filthy, you probably won't be able to clean as it wouldn't make sense if you could, as if that were true any item with a vox could be sold as a new and sealed. Anyway hopefully you could find a solution.
The magic of the GWR
[-] The following 2 users Like Donald9Douglas10Oliver11mp's post:
  • Splodge, Super
It looks more like plastic rot from the slate loads.
[-] The following 2 users Like Fred_Pelhay's post:
  • Splodge, Super
Not sure I have ever heard of "plastic rot" before???
Me neither, sounds interesting though
[-] The following 2 users Like Splodge's post:
  • Donald9Douglas10Oliver11mp, Super
(01-17-2023, 08:34 PM)Super Wrote: Not sure I have ever heard of "plastic rot" before???

The chemical reaction between the ABS or PVC plastic and the color it was molded in can cause it to slowly disintegrate even if left in the packaging, it's just a fact due to the age of the product (over 15 years old)
See also gold plastic syndrome https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Gold_Plastic_Syndrome
[-] The following 5 users Like Fred_Pelhay's post:
  • Donald9Douglas10Oliver11mp, generic_truck_69420, MuddyPoppins, Splodge, Super
Well I just learned something. After all my years I have not seen where plastic can actually deteriorate enough to leave sticky drippings. I have heard of it deteriorating where it can become brittle by chemical reactions and discolor by the same or by ultraviolet light mostly in light or white colored plastics but have not heard of substances being off loaded due to anything.