Gakken Blocks

3 Replies, 1333 Views

Gakken Blocks have been popular in Japan since the late 1950's.

[Image: step1_kihon.png]

TakaraTomy have announced a new collaboration with Gakken which will see the release of two Gakken sets specifically designed to be used with Plarail Railway.  The Press Release is here.

Let's play with Plarail! Gakken New Block Diorama Start Set: "A block set with colors and shapes that makes it easy to create a scene alongside Plarail. Contains 70 blocks of 15 types. Contains 10 special blocks of 2 types for Plarail."

[Image: %E3%82%B7%E3%82%99%E3%82%AA%E3%83%A9%E3%...%88pkg.png]

Let's play with Plarail! Gakken New Block Diorama Deluxe Set:: "Block set with colors and shapes that make it easy to create large scenes such as buildings and rivers. Contains 140 blocks of 19 types. 22 pieces of 4 types of special blocks for Plarail are included."

[Image: %E3%82%B7%E3%82%99%E3%82%AA%E3%83%A9%E3%...%88pkg.png]

The two Gakken sets will be released on 20th April, at the same time as the Plarail Railway Dog Express Best Selection Set.  

Who can tell to what new depths of horror this development will lead!  It's part of the now clear trend of dumbing down that doesn't bode well for those of us still hoping for production of new models of more advanced 'real-life' Plarail to start again.
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Super
I have no idea how these two sets even remotely related to Plarail other than the ability to say "Hey, you can put this around Plarail tracks!". There's not even a single Plarail component according to the labels as far as I can see.
Hunting Shinkansen for life (but not at all costs) :>
[-] The following 1 user Likes HanoibusGamer's post:
  • Super
(03-20-2023, 01:14 PM)HanoibusGamer Wrote: There's not even a single Plarail component according to the labels as far as I can see.

They're clear about that: "This product does not include Plarail vehicles, rails, or scenery parts"

本商品にプラレールの車両、レール、情景パーツは含まれておりません
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
Those were my first thoughts when first seeing this colab. I actually got a giggle as the colab is definitely a ploy to get more children into Plarail which there is nothing wrong with that. A colab like this could be with any train set like HO/OO Lionel etc. In fact it could also go along with Slot Car sets too.

Thanks Dr Chris
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]