This may be crazy...

8 Replies, 9449 Views

You're reading the thread title thinking "oh boy what has he thought of this time?" And I have been thinking, could a smoke unit be installed a Tomy train? Personally I think it would look so much better with actual smoke! I just would like to know before I decide to butcher any trains if anyone else has done this in the past? If you have has it worked or backfired? And what kind of power source would I need?
Proud owner of Tomy/Plarail trains. Cool
you will most likely need to attach another car to the engine in order to make it work. Look at the Thomas 65th anniversary engine, it has to attach to Annie in order to have space for both the electric motor and the steam component.
Good idea but I am not so sure it could be done especially since there isn't enough room under the engine shell. Real smoke takes a heating element I would think that would take a lot of power from a battery. Of course the battery could be removed from the engine and wired to a tender or trailing car. I have never seen a smoke unit for say an HO engine so I wonder how big they are. I am guessing they use 12 volts to heat the oil to make smoke. Let us know what you come up with as I am curious. Maybe a 9 volt battery would work although I don't know for how long.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
My plan was to do the project to mallard, my custom project I'm going start very soon. As spencer has a tender, a trailing car to make it look legit. I was thinking to use a small smoke system, hopefully something below HO/OO gauge. Anyone have an idea on the size of an HO scale smoke system?
Here is one for HO and takes 8 to 14 volts so a 9 volt battery should do it. Plus it looks like a smoke stack itself and would not take up too much room. They have many on Ebay just type in HO Smoke Generators in the search box

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-Seuthe-99E-Sm...2a4096e0e0
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • ROCKINATOR
That would be easier than I thought! now just to fit it into Spencer's funnel while making it look legit...
The seuthe smoke units need a minimum of 8volts. You would need allot of batteries! Or a 9v battery but would not make maximum smoke until 14volts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ucwepn's post:
  • Super
[quote='Ucwepn' pid='6699' dateline='1423291449']
The seuthe smoke units need a minimum of 8volts. You would need allot of batteries! Or a 9v battery but would not make maximum smoke until 14 volts.
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
I'm not concerned on how much power I will need, I'm just wondering what will happen in the long run. (Damage to loco, melting plastic, wear on the unit etc.)