How do you store your trains?

48 Replies, 43759 Views

ok, guys, as above... how do you do it?

mine is grouped roughly into brand [vintage tomy, tomy thomas, takara, trackmaster etc] boxed sets with engines tend to be kept together, but engines alone are stored in plastic drawers, also grouped into type. tubs of varying literage are used for track and other loose bits and bobs like stations, girders etc.
the whole lot is stored in the ceiling space, which had a floor put down by dad. eventually i hope to move most of it into my wardrobe, but need to clear a prior collection first.

http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/s...ction.html
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 3 users Like sunhuntin's post:
  • Gerisplarail1, MuddyPoppins, Super
To answer your question sunhuntin, I can tell you how I store my collection regarding packaging and space.

TAKARA TOMY Plarail:

I usually keep the boxes the sets/locomotives come in, as they are singularly unique for each Thomas & Friends engine and Plarail engine; they are simply good for storing an engine with 1-2 pieces of rolling stock or 1 - 2 other locomotives.

These reside safely in my closet.

HiT Toys TrackMaster:

My most prized engines are stored very close to one another keep them safe and giving me a way to determine which came from HiT Toys compared to Fisher-Price.

Fisher-Price:

Unfortunately, much like HiT Toys, the packaging is far too bulky or bulbous for me to use after opening it as carefully as possible; thus, the engines and rolling stock end up in two different bin drawers, to have them carefully put away to prevent damage to them, organized and separate.

Rolling stock:

As stated above, all rolling stock is stored carefully and safely in a separate bin from the engines; most of the rolling stock, of rarity and value, is stored with another engine in their TAKARA TOMY Plarail box to prevent damage while the rest is carefully stored amongst each other.

Track:

Track and rolling stock coexist nicely together in the same bin drawer, separated by a piece of sturdy cardboard. Most, if not all, of my regular straight track is stored in the DD14 & DE10 Snowplow set box.

I can get a few pictures if you like, but will be working to get a display of my collection very soon.

Hope this helps.

(05-18-2014, 04:00 AM)sunhuntin Wrote: ok, guys, as above... how do you do it?

mine is grouped roughly into brand [vintage tomy, tomy thomas, takara, trackmaster etc] boxed sets with engines tend to be kept together, but engines alone are stored in plastic drawers, also grouped into type. tubs of varying literage are used for track and other loose bits and bobs like stations, girders etc.
the whole lot is stored in the ceiling space, which had a floor put down by dad. eventually i hope to move most of it into my wardrobe, but need to clear a prior collection first.

http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/s...ction.html
Residential train-afficionado in training, and Thomas & Friends fan.

[-] The following 3 users Like HankAmericanEngine's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, sunhuntin, Super
I currently store them in tubs in the dining room. They have to be readily accessible when I have a layout plan.
Here's a few lol

Attached Files
.jpg   smaller image.jpg (Size: 374.21 KB / Downloads: 196)
Evan Almighty and His Train Collection
[Image: banner12.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2014, 07:18 AM by thehsvdude.)
[-] The following 7 users Like ActionChugger's post:
  • Chrisf1961, Gerisplarail1, MuddyPoppins, sunhuntin, Super, Trackmaster-Rail-Yard, Ucwepn
(05-18-2014, 04:00 AM)sunhuntin Wrote: ok, guys, as above... how do you do it? mine is grouped roughly into brand [vintage tomy, tomy thomas, takara, trackmaster etc] boxed sets with engines tend to be kept together, but engines alone are stored in plastic drawers, also grouped into type. tubs of varying literage are used for track and other loose bits and bobs like stations, girders etc.

That is quite the collection and the "Tunnel" in the storage attic looks amazing. Have you cataloged the collection so you know whats there?

(05-18-2014, 01:04 PM)ActionChugger Wrote: I currently store them in tubs in the dining room. They have to be readily accessible when I have a layout plan.
Here's a few lol

LOL...have to have them near for an emergency build. LOL.

For me and for the most part all of our "stuff" is out and being played with. We do have the extra track and things that we aren't using right now in a few smaller plastic storage bins at the ready for a re-design or re-work of the layout. The serious storage will come as my Grandson gets older and no longer wants to play. At that time I will be meticulously packing everything in many larger plastic storage bins to save for when my Grandson gets older and has a son or daughter of his own or just wants to take it out for nostalgic reasons after I am gone.

Which brings up the question for our older members...remember when we had to scrounge for mismatched cardboard boxes or shoe boxes for storage. We have come a long way with cheap plastic storage bins to organize and save our stuff. What I like so much about them as you can match tons of them up in the same size and have a stackable wall in your storage area. And unlike cardboard boxes the bottom layer doesn't get squashed from the weight of all the boxes on top. Coming from one who loves to organize, I just love them. A bit of advise is when you find a type and size of plastic bin you like, by many more than you need at the time as I have found they discontinue or redesign them just when you want to buy some more to match. Good question Sunhuntin
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • Gerisplarail1, sunhuntin
Most of mine live in the shed where the layout is, I would say 3/4 are packed into storage cases and those are inside the largest available tub. I do keep some prized locomotives inside though. the 2 vintage Disney trains and my plarail 40th anniversary tinplate C53-43. I try and rotate them regularly from tub to railway and vice versa but I end up pulling allot of them out to study for mods I have in mind or mods to be done and that is how my railway gets so cluttered, I have another smaller tub that contains 3 car plarail trains and Thomas and friends passenger cars, I have another tub that contains trucks and freight cars.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ucwepn's post:
  • sunhuntin, Super
Forgot to mention that I have 4 of these stackable garages on their way. I have seen these on Ebay new but at a high price. I managed to get a set of four very cheaply on Japan Yahoo. Already have a good idea of where to put them so they are easily accessible and if we like them I think I will add four more. Evan with the two big train shelving units we have so many trains and rolling stock we are starting to run out of room and I really don't want to put them away where they aren't handy. What I also like about these as they look like they would be great to use for long term storage too. Does anyone have these or have an opinion about them?

[Image: iymsts-img450x600-1400126121zsdfjm46767_zps5a89fa56.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like Super's post:
  • Gerisplarail1, sunhuntin, Ucwepn
thanks for the replies, everyone. nice to see im not the only one with tub towers! LOL.
super, i never used boxes. my first set was stored in an old suitcase. it went from that to a number of other suitcases and finally the tubs. still have some suitcases for holding smaller amounts of track, like the trackmaster roadway, which i am unlikely to end up with too much of.
as for cataloguing, i have a photo of each engine except the vintage [i have a photo of each version, but not every single one i own within each version] and the same for most of the accessories. i dont have track and girder numbers etc anywhere. does anyone have a list with how many of each piece they have?

ive been looking at those yellow containers too. shipping would be expensive, looking at the size of it.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes sunhuntin's post:
  • Super
Here is mine/my boys collection

[Image: ABF3C30B-ED15-4407-B257-BDCF57ADF108_zpsgdsym27y.jpg]

Wow! My wife thought I had a lot! You all put my modest collection to shame!
[-] The following 4 users Like Tramp's post:
  • Gerisplarail1, sunhuntin, Super, Trackmaster-Rail-Yard
LOL...show your wife some of these collections and she will be proud of you. Love the big stuffed Lion guarding the collection. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Gerisplarail1
Heres Bens trains...ive yet to get boxes like the professionals above!

[Image: DSCF8753.jpg]

[Image: DSCF8754.jpg]

[Image: DSCF8755.jpg]

[Image: DSCF8757.jpg]

[Image: DSCF8758.jpg]
GNER BRITAINS FINEST RAILWAY COMPANY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkBKd_lF4e0
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2014, 08:28 PM by Chrisf1961.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Chrisf1961's post:
  • sunhuntin, Super