Is This Set Rare?

12 Replies, 15644 Views

Is this little set rare or unique that it would demand 10,000 yen? What does it do or what makes it so special?

Attached Files
.jpg   wxdej22434.jpg (Size: 166.53 KB / Downloads: 138)
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(03-02-2015, 07:19 PM)Super Wrote: Is this little set rare or unique that it would demand 10,000 yen? What does it do or what makes it so special?
Idk if it's rare, but it's cool to have to be able to extend a continuous tunnel through curves..but for 10000 yen? Idk that's a tough one.
For 10k yen there is a trackfull of other possibilities!!Smile
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
(03-02-2015, 07:19 PM)Super Wrote: Is this little set rare or unique that it would demand 10,000 yen? What does it do or what makes it so special?

On the box it says "REAL SOUND THUNDERBIRD EXPRESS (Installed α system)" and then there's another bit on the box that has the α symbol and so seems to refer to the α system. What's that about then?
Thanks guys. I don't see much included with this set. Here is a picture of whats in the box. Sound...wonder where as the platform with the signal and Plakids on on looks to be hollow.

Attached Files
.jpg   zflz22434.jpg (Size: 141.68 KB / Downloads: 126)
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Indigo Has Karate and My Mom is visiting for it but I can shed a bit more light on this later this evening after Karate and going out to dinner, I can say now that this was part of the short lived Alpha system which was an enigma in itself!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gerisplarail1's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
(03-02-2015, 10:20 PM)Gerisplarail1 Wrote: Indigo Has Karate and My Mom is visiting for it but I can shed a bit more light on this later this evening after Karate and going out to dinner, I can say now that this was part of the short lived Alpha system which was an enigma in itself!

It'll be the morning now before I read Geris' post which I'm sure will reveal all, but meantime here's some food for thought:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tomy-Takara-Ja...0894266750

and

http://www.hlj.com/product/tom67884
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Gerisplarail1
This set is the expansion scenery set for the Alpha system set.

I would really love to see this set.

The alpha system was Tomy's attempt at RFID controlled toys. The original set contained a train and a card. Swiping the card along the top of the train allowed you to make it stop and go.

Since Tomy never continued to make anything beyond this for the alpha system, I guess it will remain a novelty. Even more so after the Hokuriku Shinkansen set for Plarail Advance is more popular among Plarail customers.

For those who don't know, other names for RFID including NFC, contactless, tap and go, FeLiCa. The same technology used in many payment systems for public transport around the world.

-plarnold
[-] The following 2 users Like plarnold's post:
  • Gerisplarail1, MuddyPoppins
what Plarnold said it was a very short lived idea from Tomy That was gone as fast as it came. Here is a link to show the set Plarnold was talking about it also shows the expansion set in question. although short lived Tomy released Alpha system stuff for at least three of their lines that I know of, Plarail, Thomas Tomica and the precursor to To the Tomica Hyper Rescue Series, Which was called Tomica Magnum Rescue (or similar to that).

http://www.takaratomy.co.jp/products/fan...03_10_pte/

To answer the question to why the steep price it has to be the rarity of the expansion set exclusive Plakids included, Plakids are a big deal in Japan and collecting them all is nearly impossible.

there were 5 Tomica Magnum Rescue vehicles with Plakids released and one playset that I know of. here are pics of the playset and a few of the vehicles. also Chrisjo posted most of what was released for the Tomica Thomas line I have seen Percy for Alpha System and am not sure about what other Thomas engines got the Alpha treatment for sure as when I found out about this strange system I did not collect Thomas and never thought I would!

Attached Files
.jpg   tomicamagnumrescuealphasystem.jpg (Size: 192.62 KB / Downloads: 98)
.jpg   tomicamagnumalphasystemset.jpg (Size: 136.55 KB / Downloads: 97)
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2015, 04:07 AM by Gerisplarail1.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gerisplarail1's post:
  • Super
I don't think it's the Plakids. It's the electronic chips inside the tunnel and the signal box that make it rare.

When the train goes into the tunnel, the lights turn on automatically. Smile

Likewise, it stops in front of the signal box if it is on red. Smile

It would be nice if someone could donate this set to me. Big Grin

-plarnold
[-] The following 3 users Like plarnold's post:
  • Gerisplarail1, ROCKINATOR, Super
A lot of us wish for that kind of thing Plarnold
Proud owner of Tomy/Plarail trains. Cool