Plarail Advance Issues

40 Replies, 65259 Views

Hi

As most are aware I retail these products and whilst exhibiting today we had issues with certain trains cornering . The trains in question were both of the Shinkasen type AS03 Dr Yellow and the N700 that comes in the starter set . Is anyone aware of outstanding issues with these trains on standard curves . We run 3 other demo trains Red Thunder , E259 Narita and the d51 and they handled the curves fine . It is just a standard 2 curves with a straight and a half between them and it was every corner of the track not just one .

Wondering if the radius of the curve was too tight for them ?

Any help appreciated

Thanks in advance

Steve [/align]
the tracks need to be perfectly joined for every single joint on a perfectly flat level surface.
(03-16-2015, 05:07 AM)Ucwepn Wrote: the tracks need to be perfectly joined for every single joint on a perfectly flat level surface.

Hi UCWEPN

It was only an issue with the 2 bullet trains . They either slowed completely on a corner or just froze on them and then spurted out of them . The other three trains were absolutely fine . I know the Dr Yellow is the old discontinued one so wasn't sure if it was an issue with the original trains .

btw one of my customers mentioned you as he was buying Patchwork Hiro from me . He said he had only ever seen it on your video channel .

Regards

Steve
Hi guys,
I've heard reviews saying similar things where the trains have been reduced to a crawl after a short period of time.
There's always been a weight issue with the advance range which has led me to do the pictured modification.
Beyond this there other factors that affect the running of these trains.
The alignment of the axle and wheel can be quite bad on some power cars, turn the car upside down and check to see how much the powered wheels jump about when turning. This will reduce the traction the power car has at any one time and the rolling resistance when cornering will not help.
Also check that the curve sections of track are not warped as this will also effectively lift the wheels off the track.
The mechanism likes to attract hairs which will wrap round not just the powered axles but others as well. Hairs also get between the teeth of the sprung loaded gear and the power wheel which can make them slip.
I don't think it's a problem with a particular model, just luck of the draw.

Alastair

Attached Files
.jpg   weight strip.jpg (Size: 137.49 KB / Downloads: 220)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Wartsilaone's post:
  • Super
Howdy Tootally Thomas!

I've only got one Plarail Advance engine, and that's the C57-1 Yamaguchi Type GO locomotive!

I've never had any real problems with the engine on any tracks, but derailments do occur if the track isn't connected properly.

Weight hasn't been an issue, but the reverse function can be a touch finicky when it wants to be.

The locomotive itself is just fine running on the rails but, again, I've never had any pressing or troubling issues with Plarail Advance. I suppose the problems just depend on the locomotive that one purchases.
Residential train-afficionado in training, and Thomas & Friends fan.

Hi Tootally, well I hope you get it figured out! As for patchwork Hiro I don't actually have one so that customer is mistaken hehe, it's easy to get confused there are many youtubers out there with hundreds of videos each Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Ucwepn's post:
  • Gerisplarail1, HankAmericanEngine
I have the N700 from the starter set and a few other Plarail Advance train sets. The N700 has more problems for it than turning at corners. It doesn't climb the slope rails properly even though they are designed especially for the series.

My fix is to clean the wheels periodically (which is what they recommended on their website officially) and to select curves that are 'perfect'. 'Perfect' refers to the fact that the rail is indeed a curve. Some rails manufactured during the early 2000s were slightly different and weren't perfect curves.

I hope that makes sense. Smile

-plarnold
There are also the long radius curves by Tomy that may work better although I am just guessing.

The ones in the middle...

Attached Files
.jpg   002.JPG (Size: 176.22 KB / Downloads: 185)
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Thanks guys

Warts I am assuming that you use some sort of lead strip in the photo . Where does it come from ?

Regards

Steve
Yes that's right. Came from the aquatics store.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Wartsilaone's post:
  • Super