@Super

4 Replies, 6182 Views

Hello SuperSmile I need your help and expertise with lubing the western steamers...Geris says you wrote an article on the subject, and that you are experience and most knowledgeable specifically about them...
Both the Benkei and Shuppo seem impinged and are very clackety loud!!
I'm afraid to run them as they sound as if they're about to explode..
They run great on a flat surface(apart from the noise) but neither will climb an incline either...CAN YOU HELP???
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes MuddyPoppins's post:
  • Super
That sounds like a crack gear or loose gear within the motor.

-plarnold
(07-03-2015, 04:50 AM)plarnold Wrote: That sounds like a crack gear or loose gear within the motor.

-plarnold
ok, yes that may be it as well..
I thought it felt impinged or off somehow with the 3rd internal gear, as they all seem sound. I was hoping they were only in need of lube, Since the Shuppo was quite old but bnib, and was behaving and sounding identical to the Benkei. When I compress the train with even tension to it exterior and undercarriage the clacking decreases and the trains sound about right..I tried adjust their main body screws to no effect as well..the gears seem pristine in excellent condition. I have not opened them or gone any further.. I do appreciate any thoughts or knowledge you may have?Smile
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
My gordon had the EXACT same issue, will take him apart and post pics of what the issue was for me. It was the switch would not engage the gear before Gordon's drive wheels, and he made a horrid racket (he always did, it just got louder when the issue began) and it started at a train show! Thankfully, Edward made it look like the TV show where edward pushed gordon up the hill. And three years later, after I got back into this awesome hobby, I fixed him. It was a surprisingly easy fix but it sacrifices free rolling when the loco isn't on.
Proud owner of Tomy/Plarail trains. Cool
Hi Muddy

Sorry it has taken so long to reply but it is a very big holiday weekend here in the States. Our Independence Day and I have been very busy with family and events.

These type engines have been known to split gears. My personal theory on this is the gears on these are made of brittle white plastic and not neoprene. ToysTrainsThings is really the expert and I can't seem to find the articles where we discussed it...hmmm...maybe in was on our previous Forum and I don't know if I can see that. Anyway, take a look at Ucwepns video on the older version of the Disney trains which is the same and you will see that he says there is a clacker built in for realism and the drive wheels are suspended in a way that without proper weight may be the reason why the Shuppo is having trouble with the inclines. They also have a clutch type gear on the axle that can get pretty sloppy and cause slippage from children holding and preventing the train from moving. My current Benkei that I swapped out the red wheels for black and gray side rods and my 2 Yoshitsunes do not have suspended drive wheels. These are very tricky to take apart and work on as they are very different in their gearing and how the motor and housing sit in the chassis. I replaced a motor and super glued a split gear in a Benkei I had bought used because it was doing the same as you described. One of the biggest problems I had on re-assembly was how to get the three weights back in the right way to the front of the boiler. I never did figure it out. I had taken pictures of the gearing to make sure I got it back together. I had managed to pick up a few of non-working green and red Disney trains in bulk purchases from Japan that I use for parts. Their black wheels are a very nice fit for the Benkei. ToysTrainsThings video is also below showing the older releases of the Disney trains. The three newer Disney trains (Green, Red & Blue) are more detailed, have the short side rods attached to the front wheels and use a AA battery. I will see if I can pull up the old conversations about this.

Other articles...
http://www.blueplastictracks.com/showthr...566#pid566

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins