Restoring a Motor Road & Rail (U.S. Plarail) Spencer

14 Replies, 20856 Views

Today, I started work (barely) on stage 2 of Toby and Henrietta, but stopped and put it off for later after realizing I had the intelligence and enough of a steady hand to possibly restore my old Spencer model, instead of buying a new one!
I used some masking tape, along with black acrylic paint, a mixture of spice brown, red, apricot, and pure silver acrylic paint, and a mixture of some black and white paint to cover up the cab roof, buffers, and the black scratch on the tip of his nose, respectively. used some masking tape, along with black acrylic paint, a mixture of spice brown, red, apricot, and pure silver acrylic paint, and a mixture of some black and white paint to cover up the cab roof, buffers, and the black scratch on the tip of his nose, respectively.

Before I did that, I got a few wet paper towels and cleaned all the red stuff (I have no clue what it was) off of him, and removed a peeling cab window sticker. (You can see how bad my attempt at a new one was, but it still looks passable.)Before I did that, I got a few wet paper towels and cleaned all the red stuff (I have no clue what it was) off of him, and removed a peeling cab window sticker. (You can see how bad my attempt at a new one was, but it still looks passable.)
To finish it all off, I removed a bit of dust and fuzz from the inside, and replaced the old AA battery with a new one, which is also a different brand from before, and I can easily say that he's now one of my best AA-battery runners!

He also looks as good as new in my book, and I won't be buying an extra Spencer anytime soon!

All that's left to do now is fit him with a Plasma Dash motor, if my mom lets me buy another 60 bucks worth of stuff from Amazon.

[Image: TOMY%20Spencer%20before_zpsywvy67bi.png]

[Image: TOM%20Spencer%20after_zpsdxpyu08c.png]
Creator of upcoming series "Sudrian Tales"
Amateur voice actor
Still haven't painted FFF's Daisy lol sorry my guy (i promise I'll get that airbrush kit soon)
[-] The following 3 users Like Miksolo's post:
  • HankAmericanEngine, Super, Ucwepn
Looks fantastic! They look so much less like plastic when they are painted. I got this very Spencer and a Salty from a charity shop and I am planning on getting them running/servicing them in a new video Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ucwepn's post:
  • Miksolo
Very nice job. Definately an improvement and I love the buffer(s) color.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Miksolo
(02-11-2016, 01:47 AM)Ucwepn Wrote: Looks fantastic! They look so much less like plastic when they are painted. I got this very Spencer and a Salty from a charity shop and I am planning on getting them running/servicing them in a new video Smile

Thank youcwepn! What do you mean, "less plastic"? If you mean the kinda flat colors, I'd personally like them shiny and looking new, which is why I'm going to try and find some kinda clear paint soon, or get a different type of paint. I may try whatever the heck enamel is.
Amateur voice actor
Still haven't painted FFF's Daisy lol sorry my guy (i promise I'll get that airbrush kit soon)
Yes I like flat paint
Looks great. Did you use airbrushing?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(02-11-2016, 02:08 AM)Super Wrote: Looks great. Did you use airbrushing?

No, I don't own one, sadly.
Amateur voice actor
[-] The following 1 user Likes Miksolo's post:
  • Super
Someone remind me to fix the repeated semtences throughout the poat in the morning ;w;
Amateur voice actor
Spencer came out looking great! Very nice job, the cab came out fantastic!

You never know what you get when you receive used trains, you just never know what kids do to them. In my last lot I purchased of broken trains, someone super glued Percy's body to his chassis! It was a pain to get him apart...

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing how part 2 goes!
(02-11-2016, 05:54 AM)anc6802 Wrote: Spencer came out looking great! Very nice job, the cab came out fantastic!

You never know what you get when you receive used trains, you just never know what kids do to them. In my last lot I purchased of broken trains, someone super glued Percy's body to his chassis! It was a pain to get him apart...

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing how part 2 goes!

Oh, I didn't buy him used. I had this one growing up, and I don't know what I did to it! Other examples of weird things I did to my trains as kids was using peanut butter as mud, and always getting them into accidents that got them stuck in the mud. I remember doing this with a Wooden Railway Spencer, but I don't have it anymore. However, there's some peanut butter stuck in the wheels of my Take Along Harvey.
Amateur voice actor