Plarail D51 498 Sound and Steam

9 Replies, 7471 Views

Hello all. I have a question on the D51 in particular the version which I believe is called D51 498 Sound and Steam.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10067600

Is this called anything else or are there other versions similar? I thought I saw something for a D51 200 that had steam?

Basically I am looking for something similar to the Real Steam Thomas, but in D51 or other Steam Engine style. Any thoughts? Thanks.
You are correct Ripley. See pictures. There are two D51 Steam and Sound. The individual one with the attached Blue JR Coach like your link and the D51-200 with attached brown sound coach that came in a large set with dark gray tracks and plenty of accessories. Here is that set http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10048668

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • ripley802
Excellent. Thanks Super. Are these very rare or still easily obtainable? I AMD still learning this style so seeing them on say Jauce they can be hard to spot. At least now I can look for the blue car too or they attached brown car. I saw a YouTube video with one and was hooked. Very cool engines.
You are welcome Ripley. Did you catch the link to that set above that I may have posted after you read the post?
I did not, but do now. Big Grin. That one is awesome. I would imagine hard to acquire as well. Very similar to the Real Steam Thomas set with the water tower piece, etc... Any idea on what th box may look like so I can keep my eyes open for it?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Super
I had gotten rid of the box I had for both of mine and I can't seem to find a picture of the front of the box. Maybe another member can point you in the right direction. For the single set you linked to, D51-498, Vlastian is selling boxed ones new on his Ebay site. He acquired a box load of these years ago and I bought our first one from him which was my first purchase from him.
Nigel found the d51-200 with box on Jauce. Still a little pricey for me especially after shipping and fees. Hoping to maybe get just the engine for a bit less. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Super
Well after many battles I am happy to report I have won two auctions. One was for the D51-200 set which comes with the box. The other was for the D51-498. Sadly on the 498 i was outbid on the one that had the box, so all I will be receiving for that lot is the engine, but that was most important. Big Grin

Excited to see these and test them out compared to the real steam Thomas.
[-] The following 3 users Like ripley802's post:
  • Nigels, sunhuntin, Super
Congratulations Ripley, I know how much you wanted these.
Well done Mr Ripley, I knew you were bidding on them so I'm glad to hear you were successful Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin