Train Lining...

0 Replies, 1983 Views

Guys,

I'm sure we've all had a model, be it PlaRail, Trackmaster (yuk) or whatever where we've thought how much better it would look if it had the gold lining (or whatever appropriate colour) on the boiler, or a passenger car that would look nicer with some lining on it.

Well as I'm slowly putting together the Lego bricks to build my version of the Emerald Night (Flying Scotsman lookalike) I had a problem in that this has some custom bricks that have gold lining on them. The problem being that these were unique bricks to this set, you can't get them from Lego's 'Pick a Brick' and although there are some on Bricklink they are prohibitively expensive due to the scarcity of the brick in question.

So I thought how can I source something to replace these without losing the lining? Well my solution was to source some of the same shape/size brick, although in Red as opposed to the original dark 'BR' green and then how to line them?

The first thought is mask them and airbrush them with gold stripes/lining, but it would be fiddly and very time consuming to achieve so I thought a little laterally and came up with a solution which works, is cheap, needs no flash equipment and is a clean process.

What you may ask? Well simply I bought a roll of car (automobile for the colonials) 'Styling Stripe', got a roll of 2mm gold (10m long) for a mere £3 or thereabouts. Result? Half an hour later I now have a set of blocks with a consistent gold stripe on each end that match what the original bricks would have looked like so problem solved.

However why mention it I hear you ask? Well quite simply because you guys could use the same method for your PlaRails etc... if you want to improve/modify the paint job on your loco's and rolling stock Smile

Enjoy!!
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 6 users Like Nigels's post:
  • , DalaGStanator, fred16850, Off The Rails, ripley802, ROKMAN1445