New Plarail Steam Thomas

10 Replies, 7796 Views

So this arrived today from hobby Search. I was thrilled to see it finally but am feeling a bit let down. Maybe I am just completely confused and I will go take a look at a video to see if it helps, but there is not really any Steam or even light from the funnel. I managed to get it to somehow steam twice and have been messing with it for about an hour. Dodgy

The water is put in by the tower and the excess (which seems like most) runs into the pond. I let it run and run but nothing seems to come from the funnel. Not sure what I am doing wrong here. I tried different batteries and had a look but there is not the little piece that the old Thomas had where you could moisten it to get it to go longer (or atleast that's what I did).

I was going to do a short video of it but since it is not steaming it is not very interesting.

Thoughts..?

[Image: 245726FB-3D9C-4571-AECE-57C2F66201D9_zpsrozvrplf.jpg]
[Image: 25E56519-9015-4156-82CB-3E98CF62A096_zpst7m7fyoh.jpg]
[Image: 1112F518-FC3B-46AD-A969-811D363C6C15_zpsommcuybd.jpg]

Here is a video I found. I think I see what I did wrong. I will have another look in a bit..

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2017, 11:02 PM by ripley802.)
[-] The following 4 users Like ripley802's post:
  • , DalaGStanator, MuddyPoppins, Ucwepn
Wow...how disappointing is that? What a bummer. I would suggest you contact Hobby Search as I have heard they have good Support. If that doesn't work, maybe you could contact Geris and see who he dealt with when he received not one but two bad Oigawa Thomas's. He may have contacted Plarail but I am not sure. He talks all about it in a video or 2. I also believe he discussed this in the Forums somewhere. Since he pre-ordered it he may have talked with Hobby Search. They sent him a replacement for the first one and that was bad too and they sent a third one which worked fine and he got to keep them all so he ended up with 6 of those brown coaches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vuusyH4b6g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxQLidgAlg0
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 4 users Like Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator, MuddyPoppins, ripley802, Ucwepn
I think we are ok. Sleepy

So in my defense the instructions are in japanese..lol... the water tower has two settings which are shown well in the video above. Basically you have to sort of slide the lever to the cup symbol and press the red plunger down while holding it over as water source (mine was distilled water in a cup). This part I had right.

Where I went wrong.. so with Thomas at the pond I tried to fill him up but sliding the lever to the cup to put in the water, which it did, but wayyyyy to much. It basically flooded Thomas. So I ended up trying the get most all of the water out and waited a bit. Finally I left the lever in the train position. Now when you press down is the tower it will put only a drop or two in and it lights and steams.. Big Grin Big Grin

So I think it is ok. I will play a bit more and make sure it is ok and also try and get a short video of him. Maybe a comparison or side by side with the other Steam Thomas engines.
  • MuddyPoppins, Super, Ucwepn, WoodWheel92
Glad you got it working right. Doesn't your translation App help with the instructions or the box?
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • ripley802, Ucwepn
(04-05-2017, 02:47 AM)Super Wrote: Glad you got it working right. Doesn't your translation App help with the instructions or the box?

One would think, but I only used it after I had already tried to get it going the first time. Similar to if you are building something or putting something together and you are like "I don't need the instructions, I got this...." haha..
  • MuddyPoppins, Nigels, Super, ThomasBlue
[Image: yellow-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif]
The shape of the Steaming Thomas makes me think of an RS-3 'Hammerhead', it's not pretty but it does work just fine.
[Image: Re-exposure_of_P8052634.JPG]
(Image not mine)
I AM NOT DEAD. Just inactive. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ROKMAN1445's post:
  • ripley802
Quick video of this set. I do like it now that I figured out the water issue I had..Blush

[-] The following 2 users Like ripley802's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
So what is your opinion on the steam? How does it compare to the previous Thomas's or the Plarail Steamers? Just by looking at your video and especially when you turned the lights off, I think it would have been much better if they had used a white LED instead of red as it would have illuminated the white steam better IMO. I do like the sound and action of the escaping steam when he starts and stops
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • ripley802, ThomasBlue
(04-06-2017, 02:47 AM)Super Wrote: So what is your opinion on the steam? How does it compare to the previous Thomas's or the Plarail Steamers? Just by looking at your video and especially when you turned the lights off, I think it would have been much better if they had used a white LED instead of red as it would have illuminated the white steam better IMO. I do like the sound and action of the escaping steam when he starts and stops

I think it is very comparable to the other Steam Thomas's and also the Plarail Steamers. To me it is sort of a mix of the older Tomy Steam Along Thomas and the TMR Real Steam Thomas (just with red led vs blue). I sort of like the red led light but I also liked the blue with the TMR version as well. Would be interesting to see a white led though..
[-] The following 2 users Like ripley802's post:
  • Super, ThomasBlue