two speed USA type diesel with matching carriages

16 Replies, 13086 Views

[Image: r8S4X3F.jpg]

is this a particularly rarte or valuable train does anybody know please?
[-] The following 5 users Like bollard's post:
  • , fred16850, mod thana, MuddyPoppins, Super
I am no expert about these types of Plarails, but judging from the Tomica World sticker on the front of the engine, I would say that it's very old and most likely very rare. It looks to be in very good shape and is probably a fairly valuable piece.
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2017, 10:55 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like MuddyPoppins's post:
  • bollard, mod thana
so basically if the engines or cars come with yellow wheels, they must be really old.
[-] The following 3 users Like leylandvictory2's post:
  • , bollard, mod thana
I had the same question about this train several years ago but can't find the Thread with the answers and thanks to idiots at PhotoBucket I can't find the pictures either. What I remember...

First this is not a model of a USA train nor is it a Diesel. It is a Japanese Electric train.

The one I had said Tomica Express I think but don't quote me on that as the memory cells aren't as sharp as they once were. I think there may have also been a version call the Red Express.

As far as yellow wheels, I think most of the earlier Tomys had yellow wheels, not all and not necessarily really old.

I will try to find the info but thanks to the fools at PhotoBucket I am not sure how well I will do.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 4 users Like Super's post:
  • bollard, mod thana, MuddyPoppins, Ucwepn
that's interesting super, i know there's a similar newer model of the type with the raised cab, and yes, what you say makes sense with the pantograph arms on the middle carriage.

the early designs are quite quirkily attractive.

[Image: eZCVr0B.jpg]

this is the modern one that i'm thinking of
[-] The following 3 users Like bollard's post:
  • , mod thana, MuddyPoppins
Yes the 485 Series. A little further looking shows there may have been three or four releases of this same train, all the same except for the name on the side sticker. The four being...

Tomy Express
Tomica Express
Red Express
Kamome Express

My guess would be the different names for the different markets this was released in. Possibly... USA, UK, Australia, Japan although this is purely speculation on my part. If someone else knows please correct me.
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • mod thana, MuddyPoppins
bought this one, better condition than the first by the look, like the old style open cab

[Image: YlPh7Gg.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bollard's post:
  • , mod thana
Nice pick up Bollard. Just went nosing around when I saw this Post and found this video of the Red Express version which much more detailed printing, molded headlights, Glazed Cab windows and grey wheels. I have seen a Red Express version before but not with all these details. I may have to look out for this version.

EDIT:
A little further research uncovered that this particular Red Express release was a Plarail Expo Limited Edition but I failed to find out which year.

The real one...

[-] The following 6 users Like Super's post:
  • , bollard, Cloudman, fred16850, mod thana, Tharazero1

there are two different versions on this video, the same train but one is multi coloured
[-] The following 1 user Likes bollard's post:
  • Super
Yes, there are 2 versions of the multicolor 485 Series, this one and one that does not come with a middle coach and the colors are more red and green. I have one of those that I use in an Xmas layout.

There are several more variations of the 485 Series to. There is a tan and blue, I believe a white and blue and there is a Plarail Club Exclusive electrical inspection set which are dark blue and only the front and rear car. Then there is the rarest, at I think so, The rare silver plated Limited Release which I have and love. Not sure how many other variations there may be if any.