any magnet coupling mod for Trackmaster?

18 Replies, 18037 Views

are there magnetic adapter or mods for motorized trackmaster trains so I can have them pull the wooden trains? Huh

I've found nothing so far. I've even searched 3D print files for something I can superglue a magnet to but found nothing. Confused
you could try and mod them by just cutting out a little hole and put the magnet in there. I would put the magnets from the take along trains as the are small and compatible with the wooden railway
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017, 10:41 PM by Super.)
Mrgodai

I assume you are wanting some kind of magnetic coupling for a motorized Trackmaster train.

Check your Private Messages as I have sent you a Lick with something that may work.

BTW: Welcome to BluePlasticTracks
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • mrgodai, Tharazero1
in theory you can use the magnetic couplers from the first generation tomy trains.
[-] The following 3 users Like leylandvictory2's post:
  • chrisjo, Super, Tharazero1
(10-09-2017, 10:42 PM)Super Wrote: Mrgodai

I assume you are wanting some kind of magnetic coupling for a motorized Trackmaster train.

Check your Private Messages as I have sent you a Lick with something that may work.

BTW: Welcome to BluePlasticTracks

Hello, 

I was recently thinking the same thing and trying to make a 4 year old happy. What was the solution you guys came up with?

Thank you.
If you can find them, these original Tomy Thomas couplings will replace the hook & hole white ones without modification. Its easier and cheaper to find used rolling stock for the original Tomy Thomas trains and just remove their couplings. These vintage train cars have what looks like Lego nibs on them.
[Image: pisuke199.jpg]

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • chrisjo
Now this is something I could create for 3d printers if you want? Magnets are easy to get :-)
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
The new toy r us battery operated trains have magnetic coupling. You can harvest them and install on the track master trains
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
What are those Leyland?
I think that TRU line was called Imaginarium or something like that. It sort of evolved from their line of wooden trains into a Plarail-like line that was just starting to get going when the US stores went into bankruptcy liquidation.

My idea had been to try and adapt some standard model railroad magnetic couplers (like Kadee). It seems like they would fit on the sides of the rolling stock with the “eye” couplers but I’m not sure how to put it on the “hook” end without a fair amount of work. I was also concerned about whether scale model couplers would be as forgiving as the Plarail hook and eye in normal operation.

Too bad the separate Tomy magnetic couplers aren’t available anymore. I’ve seen them in use on regular Plarail trains (Taskforce2008 posted some videos on YouTube of his switching yard that are still available to view) and although they’re a bit chunky, they work pretty well.