US 2-8-8-2 (Mallet?!?) Steam Loco

9 Replies, 8262 Views

Ok, well its not quite a 4-8-8-4 (aka 'Big Boy') but it is still a mighty impressive HO gauge locomotive, I managed to snag this for a very good price (although as you'd expect, still quite an expensive buy), but I've always wanted a 'Big Boy' in my collection, but until then this will do Big Grin

Enjoy!

[Image: IMG_20180707_102602231.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180707_102616126.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180707_102630906.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180707_102747602.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180707_102811089.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180707_102857285.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180707_102949085.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180707_103103161.jpg]
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super
ooo, thats very drool-worthy... nice pick up!!
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 2 users Like sunhuntin's post:
  • Nigels, Super
Yeah, the build quality is awesome! It's made in Austria and like Roco locomotives has incredible detail and just feels quality. A very nice addition to my engine shed - if I can find one long enough lol!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Wow, what an amazing beast! I wish I knew more about the history and use of articulated steam locomotives because my son is absolutely fascinated by them. In fact, now that UP has a Big Boy restored and running, he’s made it a goal to see it in person! I’m guessing this one, being from the Pennsylvania, must’ve been used on long coal drags. I dunno....
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
OTR, I know what you mean, these unbelievable feats of engineering are so fascinating, to think of the brains, cost and effort that went into making these things happen is a testament to human ingenuity. One of these days I'll have to take a trip to the USA and visit some of your heritage railways - I'm assuming you have them like we do?
  • Super
I am loving the riveting....its...well.....um....riveting Big Grin  The Tender is absolutely awesome and the details magnificent all they way down to the open chute with coal spilling out. does the light work?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I thought you would find this one riveting super lol

Yes it has directional lighting, I'm also looking around for a suitable decoder with sound, although as it's a relatively rare model I may have to compromise with a generic steam sound decoder really designed for a different class of loco.
  • Super
(07-08-2018, 02:07 PM)Nigels Wrote: One of these days I'll have to take a trip to the USA and visit some of your heritage railways - I'm assuming you have them like we do?

Oh yeah, there are a number of historical railroad groups in the US. Federal regulations and/or Class 1 railroad company rules have made things a bit more difficult in the past decade or so. The major issues include the federal requirement for all operating steam locomotives to have welded boilers and the reluctance or refusal of Class 1 railroads to allow engines and rolling stock with plain bearings and older braking systems to run on their main lines.

Still, there are plenty of organizations running steam and early diesel locomotives in the US. The neighboring Cumbres and Toltec and Durango and Silverton both preserve the last surviving section of narrow gauge line of the old Denver and Rio Grande Western. Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, TN also has a long running narrow gauge tourist railway and there are numerous others throughout the country.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
Good to know come the time I'll have to do some research and plan a road trip or should that be rail trip lol!
  • Super
I believe the Pennsy livery on this loco is fictional, and this class was used by the Norfolk and Western.