TnA Toby repair

15 Replies, 15663 Views

i have this tna Toby that i bought in a lot with two other engines, the problem wit him was that he was very old and broken, his battery contacts are corroded so much that they just fall off, yay Dodgy
And his wiring just fell of when i opened him, maybe i was a little careless or just rotten wires, lets hope for the second one Confused
Anyways i want to repair him since hes the only one i got and i bet it wont be easy to find him again.
i have tested him with a "direct connection" so he speaks and reacts to the tracks. i have alot of sparewheels so that wont be a problem and gears to so i can replace.
the problem is only the coach.
Enough about that, here is pictures, they explain better than me Big Grin

[Image: 20181024-211631.jpg]

[Image: 20181024-211635.jpg]

[Image: 20181024-211647.jpg]

[Image: 20181024-211754.jpg]

[Image: 20181024-211807.jpg]

[Image: 20181024-211813.jpg]
i have a tna thomas who is also broken but hes not in that big of a hurry yet.
Blueberry'S'
Keep on collecting Cool
:-(. Very sad, but unfortunately this seems to be the fate of so many of these TnA engines.

I sourced (after several months of looking) the battery terminals for these which actually I was only ever able to get one side of but they work for both the (+) and (-). I would be more than happy to send you a few if you want to try the repairs? They are attached with brass rivets which are 3/32 x 5/32, here is an example:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=...1273399030

Getting them attached can be a bit of a pain unless you can make a press to make it easier. I had planned to do this but it fell by the wayside. I have a diagram for the wiring which may be in the threads if not I can send it to you or post it here (have to find it)
[-] The following 2 users Like ripley802's post:
  • Blueberry'S', mod thana
it would help me alot, i could try to do the repairs. do you have a example of a press i could use to lock the terminals into place? and sure post the diagram for the wiring here, so others also can see Big Grin
Keep on collecting Cool
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2018, 10:26 PM by Super.)
Here is a quick pic of the tools I use for setting the rivets. I have not been able to locate a good press to set them. The size of the battery boxes make it tough for some to work.

(Ignore the working diagram in this pic, as it was for something else)
[Image: 361943-B1-78-B6-43-F9-A216-6-D5-B94-FB42...fihw2u.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like ripley802's post:
  • Blueberry'S', mod thana, Super
im wondering in the meantime with the toby that i will soldier? on a old annie coach from a old tna thomas in the meantime until i get parts, tell me if i should or not
Keep on collecting Cool
If the battery terminals are heavily corroded they may be too far gone to solder on. Sometimes using white vinigar can clean them off but make sure to rinse the vinigar off shortly after with distilled water.
two of the battery terminals has already fallen off, since when i got him battery was still inside
Keep on collecting Cool
I have a James that needs new battery terminals, one is already gone. He probably needs one set replaced as the other looks fine.

[Image: 20190121-021132.jpg]

Some more of the battery compartment:
[Image: 15480953063972420700721491734717.jpg]

[Image: 15480953947973614591269065873194.jpg]
Making Customs, Filming Videos and looking for the purest engines. That's how I roll here on Blue Plastic Tracks.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TB90Prod2
[-] The following 1 user Likes Trainboy90 Productions's post:
  • Blueberry'S'
i did something temporarly to TnA Toby, just so i could see that everything was working internally of toby. i switched battery carriage from a old tna Thomas.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZKPKlmmPPg&t=25s
Keep on collecting Cool
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blueberry'S''s post:
  • Super
Great job Blue. Which now begs the question:

Can any of the TnA battery boxes (not the whole battery wagon), just the black plastic box that holds the batterys & terminals be removed easily and transferred to any TnA? Is that part only held on with screws?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]