The Qualities of TOMY/Plarail trains.

10 Replies, 14154 Views

Hey guys, I was just wondering if you could all tell me the qualities of TOMY trains so that I can show my mom this thread. Thank You. I am having trouble thinking of things.
Well...I guess tomy trains are built of strong material as they withstand tons of play and damage well unlike actual model engines who if even held wrong can break. Also tomy trains range at good price ranges. Model trains range to about 100-200$ for one engine. That's about 20-30 tomy locomotives.

If you really boil it down to it tomy trains are reliable. Model trains are awsome but one little slip up and they will never run again! 200 bucks down the drain! Tomy trains normally run through almost anything an if they fail are very easily fixed. They run good, normally depending on where you live the prices are very reasonable, and the engines are reliable!
From Thomas To Today's Modern Diesels, They're All A Part Of My Rail-Yard!
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2014, 02:54 AM by Trackmaster-Rail-Yard.)
plarail/TOMY have been making these trains for 50 years+ they have a great feeling of quality in the materials used and the tooling used to manufacture.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ucwepn's post:
  • Trackmaster-Rail-Yard
if they are looked after, they can last generations. ive had my first engine for almost 25 years, and its still going strong, after a repair a few years ago [new motor needed and lube, thats it]. i could easily pass my trains on to my nephews, but they dont look after things properly, so its rare they even see my trains, never mind use them.
like anything, if you treat them right theres no limit. smack it with a hammer and yeh, its going to break, but so will most things.

i know you said your mum wants you to get into n scale... thats not a good idea. as T-R-Y said, proper scale locos and rolling stock are expensive and very delicate. they are also easier to have issues with general running. if you dont keep the tracks clean, it gets into the motors and then you have a possibly expensive repair or worse.
another thing to consider, do you or anyone in your family have the ability to build and wire an n scale track? then youve got the costs of scenery [scale people, animals, flock, houses, trees, etc etc] next to no ready to go tunnels and elevations like trackmaster.
also, once the track is down, nailed, soldered and ballasted, theres no changing it without ripping it all up and buying more track.

you wouldnt be able to cart the locos around to sports events and where ever else you take trackmasters. when i transport mine, its wrapped in bubble wrap and in a box, then put in a bag which i wear. mine have to go on my motorbike, so wearing the bag lessens any bumps, preventing damage. and even doing this, ive had couplers broken several times. not major, but they cost to replace.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes sunhuntin's post:
  • Trackmaster-Rail-Yard
also the engines on tomy are interchangeable. I can rip the Thomas motor off and install it on Toby.
[-] The following 2 users Like leylandvictory2's post:
  • Trackmaster-Rail-Yard, Ucwepn
Sunhuntin, actually it was HO Scale. I just had told her that if she wants me to go to electric trains I would do N Scale or stay with these. She is now OK with me collecting these, she just doesn't see the values of these.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2014, 09:22 PM by TrainMan2001.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes TrainMan2001's post:
  • Trackmaster-Rail-Yard
(08-20-2014, 09:19 PM)TrainMan2001 Wrote: Sunhuntin, actually it was HO Scale. I just had told her that if she wants me to go to electric trains I would do N Scale or stay with these. She is now OK with me collecting these, she just doesn't see the values of these.

there are rare trackmaster items out there that cost a lot. Chinese Draon, Hector, Slow Coach, Bertram are some of the examples that are valuable.
[-] The following 2 users Like leylandvictory2's post:
  • HankAmericanEngine, Trackmaster-Rail-Yard
(08-21-2014, 01:21 AM)leylandvictory2 Wrote:
(08-20-2014, 09:19 PM)TrainMan2001 Wrote: Sunhuntin, actually it was HO Scale. I just had told her that if she wants me to go to electric trains I would do N Scale or stay with these. She is now OK with me collecting these, she just doesn't see the values of these.

there are rare trackmaster items out there that cost a lot. Chinese Draon, Hector, Slow Coach, Bertram are some of the examples that are valuable.

A few engines include Oliver, Donald, Douglas, HiT Toys Hank, and Lady.
Residential train-afficionado in training, and Thomas & Friends fan.

Rare Trackmasters, flip face Toby, Lost and found talking flip face Hiro, Spooky Stanley RC, Proteus. Those are all I can think of at the moment that haven't been mentioned above.

My favorite Trackmaster, I think its the detail and the way the sideplates and cow catcher hang really low almost looking like a bachmann or hornby

[Image: 20130711_000737.jpg]
HO or n scale, the same points apply... fragile, need a proper layout, expensive etc etc.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/