Modify Tracks to Remove Risers and Prevent Sag

9 Replies, 14185 Views

To help un-clutter the layout with fewer risers and to prevent, long, 2x straight rails from sagging in the middle I came up with this little procedure for customizing tracks.

As you all know our layout has a lot of elevated track and because of that we had to use many extra risers where it was necessary to use half and quarter rails. This can add up many more risers and clutter up the layout. With the use of this procedure you can eliminate the need for those extra risers without any evidence they were needed. It can also be used to prevent the, long, 2x straight rails from sagging which we were having a problem with. The sag was enough to actually turn the motor switch off of a train running under the sag because it was too low. This especially happened if a train was on the sagging track at the same time a train ran under.

All that is needed are...

1/8” x 1/4” (3.18mm x 6.35mm) Brass or Aluminum Tubing commonly available at local Hardware stores and Hobby shops. None of the stores I visited had the longer lengths, nor did they have the aluminum tubing which is made. I ordered straight from the manufacturer longer lengths that I needed and bought the 12” lengths from my local Hardware and Hobby Center. Next time I order from the manufacturer I need to ask them the cost comparison between the two metals. Its important to use the 1/8” x 1/4” (3.18mm x 6.35mm) because it fits perfectly, width wise in the tabs and the thickness is less than flush so it fits over the risers like it was made for them.

Your favorite type of Super Glue

A rotary tool although you can get by without one it is so much easier with one.

Some type of weights. Heavy books would work also

A flat surface

Simple procedure...

For the long, 2x Straight Rail

On a flat surface and working from the bottom side of your track, cut the tubing to length keeping in mind to butt the tubing on one side and extend the tubing half way into the tab on the other end. With your rotary tool and a appropriate bit, rough up one side of the tubing and the area in the center of the track where the tubing will bond. At this point I like to use a rag with rubbing alcohol to wipe away any release agents from the plastic and any oils or grease from the manufacturing of the tubing.

Run a bead of Super Glue along the entire roughed surface of the track. Place the tubing, rough side towards the track, Press down and place you weights over the whole length to ensure that the track adheres completely flat with the metal.

When joining two rail pieces together follow the proceed above but add this step at the beginning...

Where the tubing will pass through the track joint, use your rotary tool to remove just enough of the lips so that the tubing will pass through and snap into place. Remove the lips flush with the track so the tubing will adhere smoothly through the joint and make a perfectly flat, custom track.

So there you have it. You can also make 1 ½ tracks, 1 ¼ tracks or 1 ¾ length tracks to eliminate even more risers if need be. This was just what I did, maybe you have a better idea or suggestions to make this procedure better or easier so let me here what you think and if you have any questions.

[Image: 001_zps883e23f1.jpg]

[Image: 012_zps4ad27ce2.jpg]

[Image: 014_zpsea638508.jpg]

[Image: 120_zps5a778fdc.jpg]

[Image: 121_zpsf0d5529f.jpg]

[Image: 1002_zpsb04a6f2f.jpg]

[Image: 1003_zps15cbe4d9.jpg]

[Image: 1004_zpsea90b906.jpg]

[Image: 1101_zpsd4471cbb.jpg]

[Image: 1005_zps00ad42f7.jpg]

[Image: 122_zpsed3c1513.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 9 users Like Super's post:
  • , anc6802, HankAmericanEngine, leylandvictory2, Nickel, ROCKINATOR, Trackmaster-Rail-Yard, U C BLAKE, Ucwepn
neat!
Evan Almighty and His Train Collection
[Image: banner12.jpg]
Great idea!
very clever!!
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
Does anyone know where you can find suitable flat bar in Australia? The smallest size I can find is 10mm x 3mm which would just fit in the grooves on the track but the girders tabs are only 9mm apart so 10mm wide would not sit right on the girders.
Not being from Australia I couldn't exactly help but have you contacted any Hobby Shops near you? If they don't carry exactly what you need they may know a manufacturer in Australia that makes them. My Hobby Shops only carry the 12" long in stock which is only good for shorter sections of track. I called the manufacturer to order longer lengths.
great idea super i may do that somewhere on my layout thanks for sharing Smile
[Image: agreement2.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • U C BLAKE
(07-08-2015, 11:37 AM)Super Wrote: Not being from Australia I couldn't exactly help but have you contacted any Hobby Shops near you? If they don't carry exactly what you need they may know a manufacturer in Australia that makes them. My Hobby Shops only carry the 12" long in stock which is only good for shorter sections of track. I called the manufacturer to order longer lengths.

It seems the manufacturers in Australia don't do thinner than 10mm so I grabbed some 3mm x 10mm aluminium and filed about 1mm off the width each end (for the riser grooves) and it works well. Was able to get 3m lengths of it from Bunnings. Thanks Super for the original idea.
[-] The following 1 user Likes WhiteKnuckles's post:
  • Super
Glad it worked out for you WhiteKnuckles [Image: nodding-yes-by-a-very-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif]