First new arrival in a long while, welcome porter

17 Replies, 21483 Views

New arrival today. We went on a family trip to Toys 'R' Us for my son to spend his birthday money ( he got a hex bug nano set, a bike and a robot t-rex) whilst we were there I had a mooch down the thomas aisle, they had lots of 2nd generation trackmaster (but not the LBSC thomas) And some of the 'old' trackmasters but not much, they had a few Ferdinand sets, a couple of Luke sets and some Porter sets,

[Image: 7A344653-44A3-4748-AED0-6F07571107CB_zps56os6a0y.jpg]

I plumped for the porter set as Ferdinand annoys me with his fake wheels & Luke annoys me with his out of proportion Cab! I'd have got both porter and Ferdinand but they were still expensive at £20 each ~ $30 usually I buy second hand sets from eBay but it was nice to open a fresh packet

[Image: FAB3BF8A-584A-45BE-91B5-14FAD111045F_zpsculcrd95.jpg]

It's nice that this is a flat drive (my least favourite transmission) but is quite quiet,

My plan is to deface him and give him a smokebox door, I liked him as a locomotive as he reminded me of a shunting locomotive I have in a book, made by a local company,
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2015, 12:33 AM by Tramp.)
[-] The following 5 users Like Tramp's post:
  • Aresedale productions, HankAmericanEngine, ROCKINATOR, sunhuntin, Ucwepn
Nice purchase! All the first gen trackmasters have disappeared off canadian shelves (where I live anyway).
Proud owner of Tomy/Plarail trains. Cool
[Image: clapping-hands-above-head-smiley-emoticon.gif] Glad to see you haven't given up and moved on from these trains Tramp.

Porter takes quite the small smoke box door and looks great de-faced. Look forward to your modified version.

[Image: 003_zpsf6ee9f06.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 3 users Like Super's post:
  • Aresedale productions, HankAmericanEngine, Ucwepn
Thanks super, I didn't realise you'd already defaced one!! I do like porter though, a very active looking loco in a functional sort of way! It looks a lot better with blacked buffers, I might try and squeeze an LED into his lamp on mine, I've ordered another load of voltage boosters, and I'm considering lighting some more locos and carriages,

*edit*
Did you notice that porters troublesome truck came with no face? It didn't even have the blank space to fit one, all my other trucks have had there faces removed so it will fit in nicely, I just found it a little strange that it came with out one,
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2015, 09:12 PM by Tramp.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tramp's post:
  • Super
@"Tramp" I have about five of those trucks, and that's about when TM Classic started to get lazy. All my Tomy trucks have faces whereas some of my TM ones are faceless.
Thanks @"ROCKINATOR"
I've got to say I prefer these new wagons, IMO wagons shouldn't have faces,

[Image: 5FFF8E19-BC32-47C9-9C0F-162D024CE9ED_zps9jqsbgjj.jpg]

Here's the loco porter reminds me of, although this is british and I know he's an American loco,
[-] The following 2 users Like Tramp's post:
  • ROCKINATOR, Super
I believe that Wilbert and 16 are almost exactly like that loco.

.jpg   image.jpg (Size: 19.99 KB / Downloads: 91)
Not quite, that loco has the extended boiler that sticks out the front of the saddle tanks, like porter, I think wilbert and 16 are more likely to be Hunslet Austerity's like this

[Image: Hunslet_0-6-0ST_Wimblebury_at_NCB_Cannoc...lliery.jpg]

They are more snub nosed and the smoke box door is flush to the end of the pannier tanks, but I do like austerities!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tramp's post:
  • ROCKINATOR
The way I look at is that they have bill and bens boiler, but Billy's cab and wheel arrangement
Are there any real trains like Porter with similar cabs and tanks that meet the plate or or might he be fictitious in that regard?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]