How to wheel swap Trackmaster Revolution

17 Replies, 20802 Views

[-] The following 5 users Like Ucwepn's post:
  • DalaGStanator, NWRMainLineTerminal, ROCKINATOR, sunhuntin, Super
Hurray! Ucwepn is back. Thought you may have gotten lost in the Outback my friend. Very nice, precise, instruction video. I am sure there will be many attempts now that they have seen this. Some successful I would guess, some not.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Ucwepn
(04-07-2015, 10:38 PM)Ucwepn Wrote:
There is one other pain in the butt that you managed to avoid, either by luck or good judgement.

When I did my Original Thomas wheel-swap and put him on the tracks for a test-run, I found that he failed with a loud clicking as soon as he got onto a ramp.

It turns out that the slipping clutch device in the Revolution drive train is different from the old Tomy/Plarail ones. It is asymmetrical, that is it slips really easily in one direction, and with a lot of difficulty in the other direction, because the teeth are sloped more on one side than the other. The Tomy/Plarail ones have the same amount of resistance in both directions.

On the Original Thomas at least, and I think it would be the same with your Percy, the drive pinion is in the centre of the driven axle, and the axle can be put into the chassis either way round, with the clutch on one side or the other. Put it in the wrong way round and you'll have the problem I had. Take it out and put it back in again the other way round, and you'll be fine. Or be smart and make a note of how it was when you take it apart!
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
some of mine might have to have a makeover holiday at your place, wepn. :p
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
(04-17-2015, 05:15 PM)chrisjo Wrote: There is one other pain in the butt that you managed to avoid, either by luck or good judgement.

When I did my Original Thomas wheel-swap and put him on the tracks for a test-run, I found that he failed with a loud clicking as soon as he got onto a ramp.

It turns out that the slipping clutch device in the Revolution drive train is different from the old Tomy/Plarail ones. It is asymmetrical, that is it slips really easily in one direction, and with a lot of difficulty in the other direction, because the teeth are sloped more on one side than the other. The Tomy/Plarail ones have the same amount of resistance in both directions.

On the Original Thomas at least, and I think it would be the same with your Percy, the drive pinion is in the centre of the driven axle, and the axle can be put into the chassis either way round, with the clutch on one side or the other. Put it in the wrong way round and you'll have the problem I had. Take it out and put it back in again the other way round, and you'll be fine. Or be smart and make a note of how it was when you take it apart!

Are you sure you didn't put the axle in backwards? I've had that happen many times hehe
Wow when you tested it out, Percy had lots of coaches!
peep peep! <strong> Percy is my favorite engine </strong>
<a href="http://theknot.com/us/thomastakenplay" >my Thomas wooden railway and take n play website</a>
<a href="http://thomaswoodenrailway.minted.us"> my Thomas toy website </a>

(04-07-2015, 10:38 PM)Ucwepn Wrote:

Just a few minutes ago attempting a wheel swap made my day go from great to depressing.. Has no one else tried wheel swapping an engine without siderods except for me yet??? Engines such as Philip have a front axle with only a few millimeters space between the wheels and chassis, and I can't fit the pliers between them or between the wheels and axle ends. I ended up having to destroy every single wheel on both axles to successfully remove the wheels, but I still can't get out the pins! I started about 2 and a half hours ago after I got home from a trip with Dad to Harbor Freight, where we got everything I thought was needed. Someone please help with some advice or another tutorial: specifically ones for characters like Philip, Diesel, and Freddie.
I really don't want to end up damaging the chassis even more: it's already got tons of ugly scratches and scrapes from what's been done so far, and Mom doesn't let me get multiples of anything.
Creator of upcoming series "Sudrian Tales"
Amateur voice actor
Still haven't painted FFF's Daisy lol sorry my guy (i promise I'll get that airbrush kit soon)
in all honesty, you should have stopped when you realised you were having trouble, and asked your dad or on here for advice before destroying anything. if the wheels are broken up, theres no going back.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
I've broken the original Trackmaster wheels, not the TOMY ones, and there wasn't any going back anyway, as I have absolutely no use for unmodified Trackmaster Revolution engines, and I don't plan on buying any sets anymore.

EDIT: If there's any sort of commercial scissor or pliers or something that can cut through metal, i could just use the old TOMY axle, right?
Creator of upcoming series "Sudrian Tales"
Amateur voice actor
Still haven't painted FFF's Daisy lol sorry my guy (i promise I'll get that airbrush kit soon)
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2016, 01:29 AM by Super.)
Can you maybe fit the Tomy wheels onto the revolution axles?
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin